Warped Dive World Evolution - BP/W Subgroup Mindset

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MauiScubaSteve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I am specifically interested in hearing from SB's BP/W proponents about why you first chose to go the BP/W route? As usual, I encourage everyone who cares to participate in this exchange of thoughts to share, ask questions, flame, criticize &/or rebut, however you please, but I will reiterate; I truly want to know why you chose to go the BP/W route? :coffee:

Here are some posts from an old thread, resurrected recently by a fairly new member who seems challenged by math. :idk:

I would say it is more about the "right shop" or the "right instructor". Some are too close minded to see the best tool right in front of them, and would never allow themselves to use the tool properly.

I DO say the bp/wing is always the right tool.

My point about the bp/wing subgroup of divers, is more about mindset...the much smaller group of bp/wing divers, as a group, have typically gone this route becuase they wanted to be more streamlined and to have a system that allows easier weight shifting and customization to achieve optimal trim and perfect fit.

halemanō;5736857:
When a very, very opinionated person loudly, continually and forcefully states their opinion, over and over, without ever indicating it is just their opinion, not only may beginners and lurkers mistakenly think that opinion might be fact, but often it seems the opinionated person actually begins to believe that they are speaking fact. :rofl3:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/new-divers-those-considering-diving/30911-jacket-bc-wing-bc.html

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/369121-warped-view-dive-world.html

I'll go.

When I first started working as DM I was still using my 2nd Hand Aqualung Wave JBCD. A fantastic BCD by the way, solid, bomb-proof, perfect for students!
Anyway I wanted to set myself apart from the other divers as the shop used the same BCDs. I trawled ebay for deals on a different BC, still 2nd hand, bear in mind that I was a DM. I came across something called a Zeagle Brigade, it was a mix of the Zeagle Ranger harness and Eagle Wing. I did a little research on it to see what it was all about and decided to bid for it.
No prizes in guessing that I won it. I took it out untested on a double tanker with another dive-shop and got a few hints and tips on using the thing; which amounted to you 'you'll face-plant on the surface' and off I went.
It was a completely different experience with buoyancy. I've never felt that I was off horizontal when using a JBCD but with a wing I felt like I was more streamlined that ever before. I could vent in a horizontal position. The weight-pockets seemed to position my weight better than any belt had every managed. To this day I think that Zeagle have the best weight intergrated weight system, as there is no danger of a pocket 'dropping' out, and it's one-handed ripcord allows a smooth release. By the by as I've gone back to using weight belts though!!
Since then I haven't looked back. I used to dive my Zeagle for teaching and my SS BP for tech. After my Trimix course I slapped the Zeagle wing onto my BP and have been using that for teaching ever since. Well, I had to replace the wing as Egyptian sun seems to eat equipment, but you get the point.
I wouldn't go back. Occasionally I wear a JBCD when teaching Confined Water 5 on the OW course. So a student can see a JBCD removed rather than a Wing. But for the rest of the course I don't see an issue with wearing a Wing. Nowadays when I wear a JBCD I'm surprised at how constrictive they feel when inflated. That crushing feeling on the ribs. The pockets, so useful when gearing up that you cannot access while floating on the surface.
If I ruled the world everyone would dive BP, and don't get me started on how much better DIN is!!

I was looking at BCs to buy and I read about BP/Ws on Scubaboard. I asked my dive shop about them that I did my OW through and they told me only technical divers use them so I bought a Scubapro Ladyhawk BC. It was comfortable and I didn't think much more about BP/Ws.

A year later or so I met some Scubaboarders up in Sydney and one of them (almitywife) loaned me a BP/W. It was miles more comfortable than my Ladyhawk so I bought one as soon as I could. The main comfort difference was how stable my tank was on my back now. It also was easier at the time to trim out in them though I notice no difference now. It allowed me to move 10lb off my weight belt. I ditched 4lb completely (which is probably from the padding of my Ladyhawk) and 6lb shifted to my back. It was also VASTLY cheaper than any BC I could buy locally and approximately similar in price to BCs I could buy online. When I moved into cave diving I bought another BP/W for that.

I will always recommend that new divers try them out now before deciding on a BC. I think they are much superior to other kinds of BCs for the diving local to me and suit the majority of divers better than jacket/backinflate style BCs. Most of my regular buddies have switched from jacket BCs to BP/Ws after trying them out (they are mostly recreational divers) for comfort reasons.

I think unless you have dived a BP/W a few times then your opinion of them is not legitimate (and yes that is directed at the OP).

There was a 2 month gap between our initial OW pool sessions and the open water dives(Lake George is cold in the spring). In that time I had discovered Scubaboard, DIR, and all the rest. Somebody back then asked me why I was interested, and I said "It just makes sense", and I still think so. By the time the OW dives came around I had a Halcyon Eclipse and a 7' hose on my regulator(neither of which I took to those first dives to avoid freaking out the instructor). Those were the last dives I ever did in "recreational" gear, though, and I will be doing Full Cave next month and Trimix in May. It works just fine for reef dives too, and I would have no hesitation recommending it to any new diver I happen across.

I dove with jacket BCDs until I took my first tech course. I had bought a new doubles kit, including Custom Divers TDB and deluxe harness. On that course (with Mark Powell), I was 'enlightened' about the benefits of the simplistic Hog harness. This wasn't just his point of view... it was something that was made evident to me as I suffered extreme task loading on the course and the comfort harness didn't help with that. The next weekend, I as diving my doubles with a homemade Hog harness.

Until then, I had dove jacket BCDs exclusively. I had owned 2x Buddy Commando BCDs, a Zeagle Ranger..and a truly awful Dacor 'Rig 3' Hybrid Back-inflate jacket . After a few weeks diving with my BP&W for doubles... I saw that it had many benefits - not least comfort, simplicity and control - over the jacket BCDs that I was used to.

I ordered a Halcyon Eclipse shortly afterwards. I've owned 2 of those since..

I've done over 3000 dives in BP&W since then. On the rare occasion I've used a rental jacket BCD, I feel like a horrible wallowing blob. I couldn't, and wouldn't, go back to jacket BCDs - even if you paid me.

I wasn't pulling enough women in my JBCD. I moved to a Transpack, & things improved slightly. Still, I thought I could do better, so decided to try a BP/W. The increase in my pulling power was immediate & miraculous. Now, when I tell them I have 3 plates & 4 wings, they melt instantly & become putty in my hands. It's a bit messy, but I have access to lots of hot & cold running water.

My first bc was a TUSA jacket, a hundred years ago. I ran into a friend who swore by Zeagle. They had an extra Ranger. I tried it. Story done. I have a Zegle Tech, a Tech Epress, a BP/W, and a Stilletto. I love them all and use them all depending on what and where I am.

A jacket is constricting and makes me feel like I am pinned in. I like the ease of movement, and control of a BP/W system.

Can we petition NetDoc for a "Daily BP/W Rehash" subforum?

[ugh]

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom