Was this DCS during OW cerification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think this sounds like classic hyperventilation. Carpopedal spasm (claw fingers) is a very normal symptom of hyperventilation/panic.

Drift dives, when you are new, can be scary. I remember my first one; I hated the feeling that the ocean was in control, and although we were all going the same places, I felt at risk to be separated from the group. I was very anxious and did not enjoy the dive very much at all.

I have since done much more intense drift diving, and I can now enjoy it more, but I still don't like the knowledge that the water is more in charge of my dive than I am. I can totally understand why you might end up hyperventilating.

OK
Thanks to all.

Will try breathing normally even if fear of the unknown sets in.
Maybe after 55 years I just dont like the feeling of trying something new that I dont feel in control of.
But my last dive was pleasant and fun so I'll take it from there and not go much futher than that till comfortable with it.
Have a nice trip but hire a private DM as dive buddy the first few days until you've got the problem behind you.

The good news: Maybe you'll dive safer than most. :eyebrow:

emydive,

For cripes sake get a grip. You were not bent, and your dive instructors did you a dis-service by scaring you too much. Go diving in easy places without current until you are comfortable with everything. Take a few dives to make sure your buoyancy is sorted out and you know how to do everything. You'll be fine.

I think BubbleTrouble said it best. I was doing a CESA and didnt know how to judge it correctly. My lungs were totally empty as I surfaced, not the tank. I even remember thinking that I shouldnt take a quick little breath of air no matter what!
As for drift dive, I had never even heard of the term, felt totally out of control, and was thinking I was in a rip current ACCIDENTLY!. Instructor was by my side but you dont really know what he's thinking of the situation. I do know that he relies on the boat captain (with years of experience at the same locale) to pick the best spots for the dive each day and thats how we ended up there. I was quick to figure out that even the captains dont alway know whats best due to daily weather changes but I got to know him and trust that he does his best.
Yea, I definitely think I just need to take it SLOWER.

Emydive,

Thank you for the clarification. However, I must correct you a bit--your lungs were not "empty," but you had approached the "residual volume" of your lungs (the most you can exhale). There was still some air in your lungs. It is very common for people not to understand the mechanics of breathing. The "tidal volume" is the volume of air that you normally inhale and exhale. The "vital capacity" is the full amount of air that you can inhale from a full exhale. But even with a full exhale, there is still air in the lungs, and this is called the "residual volume" of air in the lungs. If you exhale as much as you can, you can still hold your breath for 10-15 seconds without much effect.

I agree, just find a comfortable area to do a dive, and enjoy it. That's the main thing anyway.

SeaRat

Doesnt sound like a DCS symptom set although people have been bent doing similar profile dives especially where CESA is performed so its not completely impossible. That can affect students but also more frequently instructors.

Id more than likely go for hypercapnia instead than DCS.

Did you report it to your instructor? If so what did he do?

I also agree with DevonDiver - if a student on a course with you goes OOG you were not paying attention, you failed in your duty of care, you weren't doing your job. You're unsafe and should be stopped from teaching.

I also agree with DevonDiver - if a student on a course with you goes OOG you were not paying attention, you failed in your duty of care, you weren't doing your job. You're unsafe and should be stopped from teaching.

Just to repeat what has been pointed out several times in the thread...

The student was doing a CESA as a part of the class. He was not OOG, and the instructor should not be reported.

Just to repeat what has been pointed out several times in the thread...

The student was doing a CESA as a part of the class. He was not OOG, and the instructor should not be reported.

Thanks for clarifying that... it wasn't apparent from the OP's first post.

However, as an instructor, I would still intervene if my student was in distress. That includes CESA practice. The CESA can be re-done.

I know that a lot of instructors can be tempted to 'push hard' so that student's complete the CESA on their first attempt - thus minimizing the number of ascents that the instructor has to 'endure' on any given day. I don't agree with that...

Prior to completing the CESA drill, I make sure to remind the student that:

1) It is a drill.
2) Their air is turned on.
3) They can breath if they need to.
4) They should breath if they feel in distress.
5) If they breath, they will have to repeat the skill.
6) There is no shame in having to repeat the skill.

Thanks for clarifying that... it wasn't apparent from the OP's first post.
@DevonDiver: At first, I thought so, too. Then I checked the thread title and sort of suspected that the OP was doing a simulated CESA. I think this was the 2nd time in the thread that boulderjohn made this clarification.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom