Was this Instructor right or wrong ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

String:
More likely a troll. The other thread is slowing down so hes throwing some more petrol on the flames.

Slowing down? I think not, it's in its infancy.

I think the instructor was wrong for making a scene infront of the class like he/she did. If the instructor had a problem they should have had the descussion in private after the class and let what the divemaster said stand for the time being. The instructor could have came back the next day, and told the class they could wear their masks as they see fit to do so. Whether a diver should wear his/her mask on his/her forehead or not is up to that diver. I am PADI certified and in my opinion either way you wear your mask is ok.

I think pretty much everyone has already voiced my views on this topic, but it still erks me so I'm going to through in my .02 anyways.

I honestly could care less about the whole MOF thing, to each there own, I say. But as a DM and military instructor, I spend almost my whole life deal with teaching in one way or anouther. The way the Instructor handled the situation was completly wrong. You never critique anouther instuctor (the DM was acting in an "instruction" role during the training by assisting) in front of students. This is always handled in private. By addressing this issue infront of the students it not only underminded the DM's role but the insructor as well. I know I have been in situations, as a student, where an instructor publicly disagreed with his AI on a training topic. I lost total respect for the lead instructor. If you cant get your staff on the same sheet of music as you, then you shouldnt be teaching; if you cant handle a disagreement in private away from your students, so they at least think your on the same sheet of music, hen you shouldnt be teaching.

Just my opinions:14:

I think it's about time this silly 'no mask on forehead' rule was buried. I don't care if it's PADI practise or not, but it's obvious that it causes way too much confusion, not to mention unessasary confrontational exchanges between divers. Also, how many of those who get anal about masks on foreheads actually act 'appropriately' when they see a diver wearing his mask like that? (ie swim over and offer a diver tow to the 'tired diver') Answer is none methinks.
I think this is a case of 'the law is an ***'
Phil TK

MOF issue is silly. To each his/her own. Re instructor vs divemaster--alternate interpretation. There could very well have been a history between the two with the divemaster persisting with stupid (eyes of the instructor) rules and regs. This could have been the Nth example and there could very well have been multiple, quiet, non-confrontational, talk-it-out discussions. In other words, maybe the divemaster is really a jerk. Without more info, we'll never know the reality. Speculation without constraints is easy; truth is not so simple.

bubblesjw:
PADI open water class, first night in the pool. The Divemaster notices a student wearing his mask on his forehead and asks him to remove it, while starting to explain the reasons for requesting that it be removed. The Instructor (a recent NAUI crossover) hearing this, stops the entire class, stops the Divemaster, and proceeds in reprimanding the Divemaster in front of the entire class, stating that there is nothing wrong with wearing a mask on your forehead. The Divemaster is then told (in front of the class) that this class will be allowed to place thier masks on thier foreheads, and that the Divemaster will stop telling students to remove the masks. Is the Divemaster right oe wrong in being upset over this? Was the Instructor right or wrong in forcing his personal beliefs on a PADI Divemaster and Open Water class?

The Divemaster and the instructor are supposed to be on the same page about these things. Generally speaking in any difference of opinion the opinion of the instructor is assumed to be leading (regardless of who is right). A good Divemaster would keep his mouth shut in front of the students and then discuss in behind closed doors after the session.

That said, I think that an instructor showing so little tact and respect in dealing with such a minor point is in danger of making themselves look more ridiculous than the DM in this situation and they will probably find it very difficult to find competent assistants on the long term.

Personally, I would have refused to assist that instructor again after that. Respect is a two way street. No exceptions.

R..

lmorin:
This could have been the Nth example and there could very well have been multiple, quiet, non-confrontational, talk-it-out discussions. In other words, maybe the divemaster is really a jerk.

Either way it's the instructor's responsibility. If the DM isn't willing/able to work on a team to the instructor's satisfaction then he should ahve been dumped long before they got to the Nth example.

And even *IF* it was the Nth example, the instructor's behaviour is still inappropriate. If the DM was so out of line so many times that the instructor was losing his/her cool then the DM should have been taken aside, corrected and fired after the session.

R..

String:
Can a PADI instructor with the relevent materials please state where and exactly what wording PADI puts in its standards banning the mask on forehead. To date ive not seen anything specifically forbidding this.

In Go Dive, the current OW training manual, on p. 156 under Problem Recognition, it states:

"Panicked divers, fearing drowning, typically struggle to hold their heads high above the water, expending tremndous energy. they usually fail to establish positive buoyancy, and spit out their regulators and shove their masks up on their foreheads, requireing them to fight even harder to breath."

It then goes on to say:

"Divers exhibiting these signs need immediate help, because they will continue to struggle until completely exhausted and unable to remain afloat."

Now I don't really undestand the relationship between having a mask on your forehead and having to fight to breath, but I'm only a beginner. I don't really read the passage as "banning the mask on forehead", though. That's the only place I found it.

Yeah, I know, I have too much time on my hands.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom