We need some tradition

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like the idea of the double OK horns as a tradition. Would the horns be displayed on every dive, only wen greeting another diver, or only when diving with other Dork Divers?
Sure! :D

I'd say no to "every dive", just because if it were every dive, it'd be a chore. A better rule of thumb would likely be: "Whenever, and especially if you know there are other DDs around."
and a snorkle never runs out of air.:eyebrow:
Says the person who has apparently never started a descent while still breathing on the snorkel. :biggrin:

Just realized this sitting here talking to my gf about diving asap. There is a "dork diver" tradition that already takes place.... The total time underwater may only be upto 2 hours but including the time to the dive site, talking with others at the site and recalling the experience even though they were mere feet away from you in the water, we love talking about diving and planning the next dive. So automatically we have 2 traditions... people that smell of neoprene and suntan lotion and the tradition of "jolly ole' divers".

Now as for that handshake idea. Could always show the sign for "how much air?" (tapping wrist), then give "ok" sign, then shake hands. lol

Now as for that handshake idea. Could always show the sign for "how much air?" (tapping wrist), then give "ok" sign, then shake hands. lol
Tapping your wrist where? In my local group, at least, we tap the outside as "time/NDL" (since that's the standard surface watch location, even if you don't have wrist computers), but we generally tap palm for "SPG" (since it's usually in your palm if you grab it, and that makes it visually distinct from time).

The other thing is that we always tap with two fingers (index and middle) when signaling. That makes it clear it's a signal (you'd never operate a computer with fingers paired together, after all).

(Another DD tradition: Giving way too much explanation for things. :biggrin:)

Sure! :D

Says the person who has apparently never started a descent while still breathing on the snorkel. :biggrin:

What?!? you don't have you DD approved pink emergency gills for just such an occasion?

Seriously though, could somone explain how to use a snorkle as a weapon? It sounds like fun and I am all about increasing the fun on my dives. I realize that it is a DD specialty course and I prommise that I will take the couse as soon as I find some place that offers it.

Seriously though, could someone explain how to use a snorkle as a weapon?
While I dive with a snorkel as little as possible (and therefore have no experience using a snorkel as a weapon), lack of knowledge isn't exactly the death knell of discussion, eh? :biggrin:

Underwater, it would seem that most snorkels would be useful primarily as a thrusting weapon. In some cases, the inherent flexibility would eliminate other maneuvers, but in any case, thrusting motions encounter far less resistance to motion than slashing maneuvers. The lunge would seem to be the quintessential underwater snorkel-fencing move.

Above water, on the other hand, thrusting maneuvers take a distant back seat to other far more useful methods of attack. Slashing or slapping maneuvers, especially ones making use of any inherent flexibility of the weapon, are exceedingly useful at close range. As a stand-off weapon, on the other hand, the snorkel can be very effective when thrown with reasonable speed and accuracy.

On the surface, snorkels can make very effective water-projecting weapons, both in centrifugal mode and gas-powered mode. It should be noted that purge snorkels used in gas-powered mode work best when the purge opening is covered before the volley is launched. Dry snorkels, alas, are rather ineffective as water-projecting weapons.

(There are also several other methods of weaponizing snorkels. For example, the air-up-the-suit-leg attack can be quite entertaining, but it must only be done to suitably capable targets who can deal with the sudden buoyancy changes thereby induced. Other methods will be left for the full course.)

I HAVE A GREAT IDEA FOR A DD TRADITION!

You know how the rest of SB has "mooney" the underwater travelocity gnome?

Well, what if we get our own ceramic... I don't know.. R2D2 or something... and we can ship him off around the country to various Dork Divers who are planning a diving get together...

I'm going to eBay now!

As an after thought, we could go with a gold-plated snorkel or a Dork Air (ha ha, get it? Spare Air? I crack myself up) but I think something we can ascribe personality to would be better...

After all, you can hurt yourself with a snorkel. And Dork Divers are all about safety.

Anyone know where to find that bald spot spray paint? It would be fun to dress it all up and pass it around as a "Spare Hair". :D

Ouch Clay Jar, that was painful.

Anyone have the singing bass? we could pull him off the plaque and use him as our mascot. Even better if we had the Christmas version.

Or we could take a hint from this thread and all attach trolls to our snorkles/regs/bcd's/bpw's...

Back
Top Bottom