We need some tradition

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DD traditions *must* be absolutely voluntary on the part of the diver. Pranks and practical jokes must never be traditional, as at least some of us have likely been on the receiving end of too many.

(That's not to say you can't have a lasting duel with another diver, complete with peanut-buttered tank straps and everything else, but that must never be sanctioned as Dorkness.)

If you're gonna celebrate pi day, just remember:

pi r round
cornbread r square

pi day! I forgot!

Why stop at double ok horns? Why not full-fledged "nanny nanny boo boo" horns?

For my 100th dive (as stated in the other "traditions" thread) I wore a home-made, snorkel-mounted dive flag. Okay, I didn't wear it on the dive. The glue wasn't totally dry and even my "100" sign, which was made out of the same material and was much dryer, didn't last.

What I didn't share in the other traditions thread was...

Oh, and my dive instructor had come along on the 2.5 hour drive to Blue Springs to witness my 100th dive... and told me I didn't have my tank strap on tightly enough... which I pooh poohed... and I underweighted myself which I didn't find out until I tried to descend... so I performed the exit of shame, followed by the walk of shame, to get more weight... and, while inserting weight into my weight belt... my tank fell out of the strap... while my instructor was watching.

I think that's a good tradition. Any takers?

Maybe we need a DD secret handshake. Or a secret password. You know, it's not the he-man woman haters club... but we could be the Dork Divers Fun-buster-haters club.

Maybe we could get decals that say "I dive for fun, not brownie points." Something like that.

I like the handshake idea.

Funny you should say that... when C picked me up from the truck stop near Allentown, we had no handshake. How would we find each other (having never met before)? I suppose me sitting in front of the truck stop next to a big, black bag with a dive bag on it gave me away, and her showing up in the SUV filled with gear and people was an indication that I was to get in.

Yeah kinda something like that.

pi day! I forgot!
Don't say you "forgot". Say you are "retroactively observing" it. :biggrin:
Why stop at double ok horns? Why not full-fledged "nanny nanny boo boo" horns?
It's not *stopping* at OK-horns. It's going beyond normal ones all the way to double-OK horns.

Plus, any lower-case-D dork can do normal ones. Only a Dork Diver would do the DD OK horn salute. :D

I like the idea of the double OK horns as a tradition. Would the horns be displayed on every dive, only wen greating another diver, or only when diving with other Dork Divers?

As for bringing a snorkle to a tank fight, at the moment I am rather un-threatening with it as I have not recieved any training on attacking with a snorkle, and a snorkle never runs out of air.:eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom