We need some tradition

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have an option for a mascot. My g/f has Earl, a paper mache penguin from Earls resturant. She is willing to donate him the the DD cause. He will require some modification and preperation to make him dive worthy, but I think he would be a great mascot. He is about 18 inches tall and maybe 10 inches round.

Would paper mache survive under water? Or would we just fly him about for surface interval entertainment? I know nothing about paper mache.

Would paper mache survive under water? Or would we just fly him about for surface interval entertainment? I know nothing about paper mache.

Hence the required preparation. I think with enought laquer, he should be able to survive a dive trip. At the moment he seems to be enclosed, so we would need to add a hole and fill him with something to make the interior water proof and make hime crush proof. The fill medium wouldhave to be soemthing semi neutral boyant. Expanding foam would mean that he would need his own weight belt, and rocks would require a BCD.

Obviously there are some logistical problems to work out. Any ideas dorks?

Something like epoxy resin or other such substance would seem the logical choice.

Something like epoxy resin or other such substance would seem the logical choice.

That would probably work beautifully. I was ony thinking of filling him with something so that the depth wouldn't crush him. I didnt even consier that with a hole in the bottom, the pressure would equalize.

I have the resin and if he is voted in as the mascot, I will prep him for his first dive adventure.

I love this thread! Just for fun I am going to get some fins of the same brand but different colors so I can have it that way on every dive. Believe me, you will recognize that as dork right away.

I love this thread! Just for fun I am going to get some fins of the same brand but different colors so I can have it that way on every dive. Believe me, you will recognize that as dork right away.

That ROCKS! :rocker:
Ber :lilbunny:

An easy ID option would be to get stickers made to put on your snorkel. Quite visible when in the water or even on the surface. :)

Just a thought...

An easy ID option would be to get stickers made to put on your snorkel. Quite visible when in the water or even on the surface. :)
Actually, except when I'm working with classes, my snorkel is never visible. Otherwise, if I'm not in a large body of water with the possibility of waves and unexpected currents, it's not even with me. :biggrin:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom