Wearing a snorkel in a pond

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In rough water a snorkel is MORE important. Why do you come out on the wrong side of so many issues?

Just stating what you think is hardly discussing them. You just restate the traditional belief. I know it is the traditional belief. I also know it is wrong.

So, go ahead, make it a conversation. State your reasons for believing that rough water makes a snorkel MORE important. I'll address them.

Um, I believe it is a her. Not that it matters.:D

I peeked. It's not specified.:shocked2:

I have done a bit of snorkeling in surf and rough water. The snorkel lets me feel when more water in coming than I want and allow be to cut my breathy short. In more mild spray conditions, it actually helps separates the water from the breathable air.

I hate the snorkel on my mask so carry it folded on a pocket. I also carry an SMB. They were both really useless until the day we were left on the surface in with waves splashing over us for 20 minutes. I used both and was happy to have them and will not dive without them.

I think it was declared in another thread IIRC. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I keep a foldable snorkel in my pocket whenever I dive. I just don't like it hanging on my mask all the time. I have a dry snorkel that I bought when I was certified. It stays at home.
I peeked. It's not specified.:shocked2:

I have done a bit of snorkeling in surf and rough water. The snorkel lets me feel when more water in coming than I want and allow be to cut my breathy short. In more mild spray conditions, it actually helps separates the water from the breathable air.

You never know when a snorkel will come in handy. I have a pocket snorkel, I have used it once in 100 dives but it was nice to have. It rolls up and fits in your pocket. The keeper is a velcro like piece that goes on your mask strap, the other part is on the snorkel.

OCNSP.jpg

Mine's a little different--it folds in two and gets stuffed in the pocket (not all that easy with 10 lb. weights also there, but I haven't had it slip out yet). Haven't had to use it yet, but I have tried it for practise--it's OK, and now I don't have that thing flopping around my LPI. I have used the old conventional snorkel on occasion on surface swims in choppy water. But yeah, it can't hurt to have some form of snorkel even in a pond.

Just stating what you think is hardly discussing them. You just restate the traditional belief. I know it is the traditional belief. I also know it is wrong.

So, go ahead, make it a conversation. State your reasons for believing that rough water makes a snorkel MORE important. I'll address them.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/near-misses-lessons-learned/183072-planktonic-diver.html

In this thread 6 years ago, I reference idiots on spearboard who think a snorkel is not useful in rough conditions...I KNOW from experience that a snorkel is a huge help when things turn bad. Being in those conditions at night, would be even worse.

That is what I am saying, some people who live through PADI training are scarred for life.

I tell the students that I don't really care where they keep their mask, but that a mask on their forehead is the international sign for "I have an extra $100 and want to buy a new mask".

---------- Post added August 11th, 2013 at 08:25 PM ----------

The problem is as conditions worsen, snorkels get more and more useless, not more and more useful. And as conditions worsen, it becomes more and more important to be aware of what is going on on the surface, so face in the water is not the way to keep awareness.

That seems more like a poorly designed snorkel than anything else.

A good snorkel will happily drain out splashed water all day long.

flots.

I did a dive the other day that began with a long surface scooter, and that was the first time in years I had the thought, "Hmm, a snorkel might have been handy here!"

One time we came across a pod of dolphins while motoring out a dive site. The captain stopped the boat directly in their path so we could get into the water ahead of them to get some pics as they swam by. That was the only time I wished I had had a snorkel with me, but I probably would have forgot to grab it in all the excitement anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom