Wearing mask on the back of your head

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So what happens when you have a mask on your arm?

:popcorn:

30 minutes into the dive wearing your back up mask, you realize that you left your primary mask on your arm at the start of the dive, so you and your buddies spend 30 minutes searching for it in the cavern, only to find it on the ledge at the start of the cavern.

Isn't that the same sign that's used when not on scuba?

A couple of days back when I got my OW certification, I learned that having a mask on your forehead when floating in the water could be a sign of a distressed diver by the captain or crew. I have read many posts about haw the crew is silly to think this if there are no flailing arms or screams at the same time. I assure you that most drownings do not actually look like you might think. the victim will usually just quietly sink below the surface and die. There is a great video about what a drowning actually looks like on the web if you want to do the search.

I also learned to keep the mask over my eyes and the regulator in my mouth until my feet were firmly planted on either dry ground or the boat deck, for the reasons stated in previous postings.

Yesterday when I finally began my venture into technical diving, I found that most of the cool tech divers would do the thing with the mask backwards and found myself caving into the peer pressure of looking cool instead of a stroke. It did not feel natural, was difficult for me to do quickly and easily, and seemed just an unnecessary PITA.

Today, I no longer care what others think and wear the mask on my forehead when gearing up. I still go with my second paragraph when ocean diving but not to much when cave diving (there I will remove my mask and stow it in a fin for carrying purposes).

I may be called a stroke ( I just smile 'cause I have been called a lot worse) but at least I am doing it in a manner that works well for me without adding extra stress or complication to my dive.

Any fogging issues?
None at all.

Full disclosure - I have long hair in a ponytail so I wear a hood on 100% of my dives. I don't know if this makes any difference or not. I use Johnson's baby shampoo for defog.

None at all.

Full disclosure - I have long hair in a ponytail so I wear a hood on 100% of my dives. I don't know if this makes any difference or not. I use Johnson's baby shampoo for defog.

I'd think a hood definitely makes a difference. Sometimes due to the exertion of gearing up and or the hot sun my forehead is usually coated in sweat, much of which makes it's way to the inside of the mask if it's on my forehead.

View attachment 516223

Better tell this guy he's a wanker and isn't allowed on your boat! :rofl3:

Haha, excellent! Tell it this guy, too @clownfishsydney! I'd like to see the diver who would look down to him.

Garry The Grim Reaper.jpg

Back
Top Bottom