Wearing your BP/W on Airplane

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But any duffle bag would work, doesn't need to be poked, and is probably cheaper than a dry bag.

Sure. I mistakenly assumed the OP wanted to wear it on the plane like a backpack since he said it feels like "orothopedic back support" and the title mentions wearing it onto the airplane. If not wanting to wear it onto the plane, absolutely a duffel bag is cheaper and more useful. Attaching a duffel bag to the backplate is still possible, just less useful as a backpack.

It's not uncommon to see people leaving Cozumel wearing a BCD on the plane. Usually when they forget that their wet gear weighs more than dry gear.

I always wear my BCD on planes. I’ve never had an issue travelling to/around the Caribbean/ to and from Canada. Never even been questioned about it.

@JohnnyC - dang, that new avatar threw me......

The poor cropping of Mike Tyson started bugging me once it was pointed out that the whole image wasn't visible. I'm a little obsessive compulsive. Great for rebreather diving, not so much for interneting..... So instead it's a selfie, non-reliant on proper formatting.

@JohnnyC like the new avatar! Actually my freedom plate and wing can easily fit in carryon, but not with everything else, and have the bag fit in the tiny scale/measuring device. So my small bag can’t have expansion zipper undone to fit the measuring device to get past them.
I own, and have listed a duffle bag with built in recessed backpack straps, but duffle is too big for carryon measuring device that American has.

You guys gave me an idea, maybe someone would like to create it. A back pack conversion for the wing and harness.

Some how when you remove your wing from the plate and harness, a back pack module is connected to the the harness and plate to transform it into a full functioning backpack.

You guys gave me an idea, maybe someone would like to create it. A back pack conversion for the wing and harness.

Some how when you remove your wing from the plate and harness, a back pack module is connected to the the harness and plate to transform it into a full functioning backpack.

Still has to fit in the tiny carry-on measuring/weighing device at the airport!

Still has to fit in the tiny carry-on measuring/weighing device at the airport!

9x14x22 is the max size. So I think the only issue would be the plate and that should be under 22" tall. The rest of the backpack would be soft(but that is up to the designer) and fit into the the measuring device. The rule is if somehow you can squeeze it into the device, it will be ok.

9x14x22 is the max size. So I think the only issue would be the plate and that should be under 22" tall. The rest of the backpack would be soft(but that is up to the designer) and fit into the the measuring device. The rule is if somehow you can squeeze it into the device, it will be ok.

I have the Freedom Contour Backplate, which is pretty small, but curved into an orthopedic looking shape. So I could wear it in an airplane seat, but it doesn't pack flat. There are some other threads with lots of pictures of this unusual shaped backplate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom