Wearing your BP/W on Airplane

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

9x14x22 is the max size. The rule is if somehow you can squeeze it into the device, it will be ok.

Might be your rule. Maybe not the rule of the person controlling boarding. Can't tell you how many times I was told I'd have to gate check my 22" x 14" x 9" even though it fit completely inside the bag checker. Some flights are on smaller aircraft and the bins don't hold what is regulation size. Sometimes you get screwed if you aren't in an early boarding group. Some boarding personnel are just pricks.

Also some airlines restrict bags to just less than the 22" x 14" x 9". Puddle jumpers are sometimes 19.6" x 13.7" x 9" - just enough less than the normal size so an additional checked bag can be charged. One airline has a 10" x 10" x 14" limit with no personal item allowed.

Wish I could find one that is 19" x 13" x 9". and without wheels. Might try to remove the wheels from my carry-on.

Wish I could find one that is 19" x 13" x 9". and without wheels. Might try to remove the wheels from my carry-on.

Red Oxx Mini Boss Compact International Carry-on Bag
Not exactly the size you want but: 19"L x 6.5"W x 12"H.

I have their max U.S. legal carry on Air Boss which I really like, holds a ton. Soft sided have advantages but carrying can get tiring. They make very well built stuff. They have a Sky Train which is a backpack type version. I used their small aviator bag as a local carry bag for reg, fins, boots, etc.

Red Oxx Mini Boss Compact International Carry-on Bag
Not exactly the size you want but: 19"L x 6.5"W x 12"H.

I have their max U.S. legal carry on Air Boss which I really like, holds a ton. Soft sided have advantages but carrying can get tiring. They make very well built stuff. They have a Sky Train which is a backpack type version. I used their small aviator bag as a local carry bag for reg, fins, boots, etc.

Holy moses. That's a bit pricey for the number of trips I have left in me. A whole lot cheaper to remove the wheels from a standard carry on and drop 2+ inches. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

To date, I've never had my carry-on bag or "personal item" weighed by anyone, nor seen it done (flying Delta or American Airlines 99% of the time).

Between a checked bag (free, cuz Delta card), a carry-on, and a backpack (personal item), I have no problem getting all my stuff to my destination without needing to try and "trick" anything into the airlines to make it work.

I liked the backpack conversion idea, but I have been reluctant to try it out of concern that some overzealous security agent will consider a steel plate to be usable as a weapon. They generally prohibit heavy objects that can be swung at someone. So far, I have seen no reports of anyone being denied carrying on a steel back plate, but you never know. Freedom Plate looks less threatening. Aluminum might have an easier time getting a pass, too.

I liked the backpack conversion idea, but I have been reluctant to try it out of concern that some overzealous security agent will consider a steel plate to be usable as a weapon. They generally prohibit heavy objects that can be swung at someone. So far, I have seen no reports of anyone being denied carrying on a steel back plate, but you never know. Freedom Plate looks less threatening. Aluminum might have an easier time getting a pass, too.

Pretty sure my soft backpack will make the grade.

Sometime I'd like to take a paper straw and a big potato. Put my thumb over one end of the straw, sealing it. And then showing the TSA person how easy it is to punch a paper straw right through the whole potato. Almost anything can be a weapon if you know how.

I didn’t realize how many people have been working on this, i did not use the right words in my search about it.
But now i am learning a lot. I have to get three other family members through security, so it saves four times what it would be by myself. Paying for early boarding to make sure the plane doesn’t run out of storage space is another part of the plan, plus it makes hubby happy.

Still has to fit in the tiny carry-on measuring/weighing device at the airport!
Probably a majority of today's modern carry-on bags (the ones with rollers) don't fit into that device, even if not stuffed full.

Probably a majority of today's modern carry-on bags (the ones with rollers) don't fit into that device, even if not stuffed full.

Depends on whether or not the sizing device is sized for regional jets with smaller overhead compartments. The little Canadair CRJ's and Embraer ERJ's and similar do not fit most roller bags. They fit without issue in 737 overhead bins.

The bigger problem is people taking oversized carry-ons, and taking two large carry-ons, eating up all the overhead space. Because people are terrible and think that they should get to do what they want, and screw everyone else.

My flying is very limited, mostly to Mexico, but I've never seen anybody try to fit their carry on in that chrome trash can holder. I don't believe I've ever seen anybody put anything besides a coat in an overhead bin that would have fit in the measuring device.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom