Wearing your BP/W on Airplane

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The bigger problem is people taking oversized carry-ons, and taking two large carry-ons, eating up all the overhead space. Because people are terrible and think that they should get to do what they want, and screw everyone else.

+++1. I've seen people carry on a suitcase and a duffel that could hold a body. Effing jerks. How do they get away with that crap? The duffel is twice the size of the suitcase they are carrying on and no one from the airline seeing it says a damn thing???

+++1. I've seen people carry on a suitcase and a duffel that could hold a body. Effing jerks. How do they get away with that crap? The duffel is twice the size of the suitcase they are carrying on and no one from the airline seeing it says a damn thing???
They may be passing the ticket agents cash.

They may be passing the ticket agents cash.

Probably a good thing they don't allow us to carry weapons on board anymore. LOL

Years ago, when they were new and unusual, I had a AA-LED light, rather heavily made and sold now by Gerber. It basically looks like a 2-1/2" long piece of 3/4" thick aluminum rod on my keychain. So of course, a genius from TSA from holding it up to his face so he could see it clearly, and fooling around with it until it turned on. Facing his eye, about 3" away.

I just politely reminded him "You realize, if that had been a weapon, you would have just blown your head off?"

I think he left to apply at McBurger the next morning. Much safer job. I always try to encourage them to find safer jobs.

I would only try this with my Freedom Contour as it feels like an orthopedic back support. But when I last took this BP/W to St.Croix, it was in my Scuba bag, and airport security still gave me the squinty eyeball, like they suspected it of being body armor or something.
So I wondered if anyone has tried this method of getting luggage weight down.

I just ask that I get to go ahead of you through the TSA checkpoint...

Actually, as of today the TSA officially allows body armor in all baggage. Unless any local agent decides they, personally, don't want to let you, personally, have it in your baggage. Does't seem to be any reference by the TSA to whether you can WEAR it though.

Considering there are companies selling lightly armored backpacks for school kids...and there are armed pilots and air marshals on aircraft...I'm sure Delta and Spirit will be glad to put "body armor?" on the list of ticket options. That should help get the TSA clear on whether it should be allowed, right?

I know a guy who boarded a flight in FULL motorcycle protective gear, leathers boots helmet and all.
He didn't have a comfortable flight but getting through security was no problem.
If you can wear it you can bring it, as long as it's not illegal or anything like that.

HA!!! theres a way to get your moto gear to a long motorcycle trip start point! Insane and ingenius!

It's not uncommon to see people leaving Cozumel wearing a BCD on the plane. Usually when they forget that their wet gear weighs more than dry gear.

Thats why I got a hydros pro bcd. Its dry in about 5 minutes. No fabric of any kind at all. and it folds flat as a pancake and has its own backpack. i stuff both puters, two masks, regulator, bcd itself of course, and a 3 mil wetsuit in the backpack and carry it on. well....wear the backpack on

On my trip last month I wore my backplate with the wing removed on my back. This didn't receive any notice boarding in the USA but one woman security agent in Mexico did explain what it was for to another agent. I guess she was a diver and the guy wasn't.

You guys gave me an idea, maybe someone would like to create it. A back pack conversion for the wing and harness.

Some how when you remove your wing from the plate and harness, a back pack module is connected to the the harness and plate to transform it into a full functioning backpack.

I sewed Velcro straps to the top of my backpack straps and unthread the backpack straps at the bottom and lace them through the bottom belt slot on the SS backplate. I remove the wing first and put it in my carry-on suitcase because I don't want to risk damaging it while shoving it under the seat. I also have a plastic tank-backpack version. It only takes me about two minutes to convert it back to a BP/W and separate utility backpack. I found it necessary to remove my rather large laptop from my backpack in order for it to fit easily under the seat. Unfortunately, on my last flight they offered to check my carry-on for free. Then, after I agreed, they told me I had to remove my laptop and put it in my backpack. It was a tight fit under the seat.

Back
Top Bottom