Votes: 27 87.1%
  • Lid down?

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • other?

Votes: 1 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I figured... See mine is tiny (canister) and it almost wants to sit inverted. And being so small, it's almost easier to reach the switch when it is inverted.

That's why I asked.

because mine is such a small canister it sits in a pouch on my belt and I don't want to add the chance of damaging if it fell out topside....

Jonathan

I've been messing with my gear top side for a couple days now trying to figure out how I was going to wear the canister. Mine is also very small, and it is real hard to reach up and back to get to the switch. But it was a lot easier when I tried it lid down.

I have read about the wire being damaged and what not when inverted. But while horizontal would the be such a problem? I understand on the surface or out of the water, but wouldn't this be an argument like a back inflate wing? How long do you plan on being on the surface or out of water? And with these small NiMH batteries, they are much lighter. Maybe with Oring's massive car bat.

I do think that my cord to the light head is a bit long. And thinking about inverting the canister had more to do with the access to the switch than the cord length. I'm going to fuss with it a bit more lid up.

we are not talking belt mounted canister now? Sounds like you have one of those that you attach to your bp?

My switch is on the lamp so none of this reaching back stuff so I can't really help much.

Jonathan

Yes it is on my belt and my switch is on the canister. I will try to take some pictures tonight when I get home from work.

depends.....

i have too much cord:) what i did was to mount my canister lid down. to protect the latches from coming off, i used a motorcycle tire tube to wrap most of the canister... sort of a rubber sock(works like a charm). the extra chord is routed inside the tire tube from below going up to the canister butt.. as if the standard way where a light cord would be... :doctor:

If the cord is too long, you should simply trim it to the correct length. The fitting in the canister lid is a simple compression fitting. It takes all of about 10 minutes to make the cord length correct.

Frogman-

Thats also an easy fix- when you get ready to sell, you go to most anyhardware or electrical supply and buy a new length of cord- they arent hard to install, all you need is a soldering iron. You can also orderthe cord from any of the manufacturers.

I was curious about this...I tried a little experiment and took an empty canister (homemade) down to around 50 feet. I plugged the W/T gland and just put a few lbs of lead in it. I popped the latches to see if it would flood....none. I then tried to pry off the lid...and just as suspected...I could not do it. Makes sense though. if you have a 3inch can down to 50 feet...there is roughly 180lbs of force acting on the lid. 315 for a 4 inch..way more than the little springs can impart.

Oh..I mount my can lid up..DIR style. But if I had a stick can like the OMS or the long Sartek...I might mount it upside down on my transpac D rings (like along the backplate).

Chris:rolleyes:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom