Weekend Idiots Abound

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

debajo agua

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi All,

Yesterday, since me and my girlfriend haven't been in the water too much this winter, we decided to do a nearby shore dive. The dive plan was simple: snorkel offshore until we get close the remnants of the wreck, descend to the bottom at a mere 15 feet, surface with 500 psi or greater, then snorkel back to shore.

Simple right?

Here's what happen:

We geared up and made it half way to the site, when off in the distance of about 25 yards, we noticed two boats near our intended dive site, and one person splashing in the water. Both boats appeared to have teenage operators, and I could hear the word "dad" being shouted, as they handed overboard a spear-gun.
11.gif
No dive flag on either of the "sea-worthy" vessels!

Just dandy!
03.gif

At this point, a smarter man would have aborted and waited for the boats to clear the area...but our dive site was a little ways off from where the two boats were located, so I made a decision to talk to them and see what their intentions were. They seemed content with where the area the occupied, so we swam to our dive site and descended.

Everything went swell for ten minutes...

Then out of nowhere, we hear a boat close by revving it's engines and switching in and out of gear! Mind you, we're only in 15' of water, so I make sure my girlfriend knows to stay close to the bottom, which she does. So I'm hugging the bottom and rolling over on my back to look up to see what's above me.
shakehead.gif
This goes on non-stop for well over 5 minutes, before I decided that, whoever is on the surface, they're intent is to kill us. At this point, I'm almost positive it's a "bi-polar crabber" who's flippin out about people getting around his traps, so I decided our best option is to move off the wreck, stay down as deep as we can get, and make our way back to shore. At a depth of 12 feet, I realize the boat above us is following us, so my flight turns into fight, and I decided to ascend and have a confrontation! :chairfight: I reach the surface and recognize the markings on the boat immediately...

Why if it isn't the U.S. Coast Guard!!! Here's a confrontation that ends up with me spending the rest of the weekend trying to make bail.

So the Bozo captain says, "We were driving by and we could hardly see your dive flag." (Isn't that just great! Thanks for scaring the hell out of me pal!!! Is that the Coast Guard protocol for getting divers attention? Rev your engines and shift gears above there heads in shallow water? Really?) I responded with, "you were scarring the hell out of us down there, I thought we were dealing with an angry crabber." To which he replied, "Oh, sorry."

Apparently, while all of this was going on, I lost my camera, which floated to the surface, which they gave back to me.
04.gif

I actually thanked them!:dork2: If it wasn't for them, I would have never lost the damn thing in the first place!!!

They left... Now what...

Despite everything, it was a positive experience. Not to stroke our own ego, but I saw that me and my girlfriend, were able to keep our heads cool in a very stressful situation;furthermore, I should not assume, just because the boat reads U.S. Coast Guard, that I'm dealing with someone with common sense.

Last edited:
Think I would have gotten a name and made an official complaint, personally. Not only is that foolish, it's ridiculously dangerous. Rules for proximity to dive flags don't apply to CG boats?

In CA, and quite possibly in other jurisdictions, what they were doing might be stupid but not illegal. Check b and c.

California Code of Regulations, Title 14. Natural Resources, Division 4. Department of Boating and Waterways, Chapter 1. Department of Boating and Waterways, Article 6. Waterway Marking System, § 7008.
The Divers Flag:

(a) A red flag with a white diagonal running from the upper left hand corner to the lower right hand corner (from masthead to lower outside corner) and known as the "Divers Flag" shall when displayed on the water, indicate the presence of a person engaged in diving in the water in the immediate area.

(b) Recognition of this flag by regulation will not be construed as conferring any rights or privileges on its users, and its presence in a water area will not be construed in itself as restricting the use of the water area so marked.

(c) Operators of vessels will, however, exercise precaution commensurate with conditions indicated.

(d) This flag may be displayed only when diving is in progress, and its display in a water area when no diving is in progress is that area will constitute a violation of the regulation and of section 659 of the Harbors and Navigation Code.

(e) Nothing in this section will require the carriage of a divers flag for any purpose.

Federal Law
Federal law states that the Alpha flag must be used whenever a vessel is engaged in operations that immobilize it, such as diving. It states that three lights should be displayed in a vertical line, the highest and lowest red and a white light in the center. It is also necessary to display a rigid replica of the Alpha flag, not less then one meter in height, no matter the size of dive vessel. Federal law has no stipulations about the uses of the red and white dive flag.
My red highlight.

The use of the divers flag, and on vessels the alfa flag, is to inform the skippers of other vesels of conditions he should be aware of, not to stop him from conducting business. It does not prohibit traffic, it indicates special caution should be used in the area.

I would dare say the Coasties knew exactly where the divers were, returning an undamaged camera, shifting in and out of gear to follow without being on top of the divers and having the prop engaged as little as possible. They just had never figured out how to communicate to the divers they wanted to chat.

Instead of complaining, find out if they could institute a surface signal when they want to talk to divers instead of just scaring the s**t out of them.:D Oh, by the way, you don't need a name, just give the time and place 'cause it's all logged.

Bob
--------------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

For a dive float/flag to fulfill its purpose, the more visible it is the better. Debbie and I have a yellow inner tube size float with a suspended dive flag above it that is always unfurled by reason of the flag mount. It is very visible. We see lots of divers with a marginally buoyant mall float with a flag on a vertical rod that dips in ( and often under) the water and is little use.
I am usually pleased to know the Coast Guard is around, but as in all organizations, the level of competence of its employees varies. I'm glad they found your camera, and I am glad you said "thank you" even if that is not what you were thinking.
DivemasterDennis

Well handled, congrats! It is good that it wasn't a crabby trapper trying to kill you, and even better that you decided that it was better to make peace than war. Does "stand your ground" apply when the "ground" is 15 feet or more underwater? Best not to find out.

I would suspect that the shifting in and out of gear was to maintain seaway whilst minimizing risk to the divers. Revving and engine is a rather well know and accepted way of attracting a divers attention or recalling a group of divers. Beats the old days when they used to throw cherry-bombs into the water.

I can remember when cherry bombs were a standard item on the dive gear check sheet.

Back
Top Bottom