Weight distribution and the boat crew

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM

Missed and loved by many.
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I just got back from a week on a liveaboard, with the hardest-working crew I think I've ever seen. One of the things that struck me was that, with ten people on the boat with backplate setups, the crew had to cope with some heavy rigs. One diver had the DSS weight plates on his setup, so that he could not reduce the weight of his rig below 14 pounds. I had 6 pounds on my cambands, but I also had a Kydex plate, so the overall weight was only a couple of pounds more than a wet jacket BC without the integrated weights in it.

If I had to spend as much time as those guys did, bending over and dragging tanks and BCs back onto RIBs, I think I would learn to hate people who put too much non-ditchable weight on their setups.

I just thought it was something to mention, because I know that, with the widespread loathing for weight belts, a lot of people try to put all their weight on their rigs.

where did you go and how were the conditions.

I guess that's the cost of working in paradise! :D

Personally I like to have some ditchable weight. Having everything non-ditchable can be a problem if you run into a wing failure. I guess in the case of weight pockets attached to the cam-bands you at least have the opportunity to remove the weights and try to float the rig.

We were in the Socorros. Mostly, the water conditions were pretty calm, although a couple of days we had some significant chop and wind waves. But it's not a good biomechanical thing, to lean over the side of a boat, grab a heavy weight, and drag it up. Mind you, the crew never said a single word or even had a facial expression that said they didn't like the gear. But I watched how hard they worked to get the bigger tanks (HP 100s and 120s) and the heavier setups onto the boat, and thought I'd at least bring this up for people to think about.

interesting.... i've got a back-inflated BCD with integrated weights.. but i decided recently to purchase a weight belt to get some of the weight off the rig itself to help protect my back. (between 15-20lbs of lead) and the hp130s, it's more than i want to lift if i can find a way around it, especially gearing up during a shore dive. as it is right now, still benched from actual diving due to a pinched nerve in my lower back. but i can go snorkeling (going end of the month with the manatees) i miss the water :(

i'm glad that i'm not working as crew on a boat like that... it would give you back issues.

And folks wonder why I don't let my crew lift their rigs onto the boat. Yes, I know it's different diving from tenders. Yes, I am in the United States, and I pay a lot for Jones Act insurance (workman's comp for vessel crew), and I have rebuilt one knee and one rotator cuff.

I'm fine with pulling my own gear onto the RIB (even my 130s), but I will double the tip if the crew do it for me every day.

However, I won't be covering any knee or back surgeries :)

Heck-it never occurred to me that the CREW were ever soposed to bring your gear onboard.All boat diving I've done with the exception of rescue dive training I've almost always taken my own gear on board after a dive-either up the boarding ladder or tie it off the RIB with a rope,get aboard and pull it all aboard myself. WOW-Never occurred to me there was another way.

That happens every time on dinghies in Egypt. But most people stay in the water and help push the equipment upwards. I have done it myself with my wife while diving from my own dinghie. Not a big deal if people are taking most of the lead off the BSD, especially with Aluminium tanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom