Weight harness under Backplate and Wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

digital_steve

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey all,
is anyone out there using a weight harness (a la dui weight and trim or something similar) underneath their bp/w right?
If so, how does it feel? Does it interfere with the backplate harness at all and does the weight sit low enough on your hips?

I'm currently using a weightbelt but dislike it and would like to consider using a harness.

Any info or recommendations appreciated

I've never seen someone use a weight harness on a BP/W. I keep my rig balanced so I no longer dive with ditchable weight. If you do want ditchable weights, there are plenty of ways to add integrated weight pockets into the harness. Dive rite sells pockets that will thread onto the harness, XS scuba sells wieght and trim pockets, etc. A weight harness would be one of the last solutions I would look at, IMO.

Dry Suit?
I know HawardE uses a DUI harness with his BP/W when using his drysuit and is very happy to get rid of the weight belt
I have just gotten the same harness but have not had a chance to dive it yet
... trim pouches do depend on how much weight your going to be needing though

I used to use the DUI weight & trim with my BP/W on a single tank. No problem, you can adjust where you want it to ride, down on the hips or whatever.

I used to use the DUI weight & trim with my BP/W on a single tank. No problem, you can adjust where you want it to ride, down on the hips or whatever.
Ditto. I did the same with a single tank as well. The key is to determine where you want the weight, and adjust the harness 'length'. It is both a matter of trim AND position, so as not to interfere with the BP haness waist strap. I ultimately went back to a weight belt for convenience.

In Britain weight harnesses are quite common, whatever type of BC is worn. There is always a significant danger of a conventional weight belt slipping off when a drysuit is worn. I forget the brand of my harness, but it's adjustable in several ways and I've never had a problem using it under a recreational jacket-style BC, a soft harness (Transpac) used with a wing, a BP harness used with a wing, or a CCR.

Nothing would make me go back to a weight belt when using a drysuit, as they're uncomfortable and insecure - I've seen several fall off people. However, in warm water I wouldn't dream of using one, as I don't carry much removeable weight anyway, and such weight as I do carry I prefer to be integrated into the BC.

I own the DUI Weight and Trim System.
Not a bad system; It rides pretty low on my hips.

Take a look at the Sea Wolf. I think it is better quality.
SeaSoft Scuba Products

I've never seen someone use a weight harness on a BP/W. I keep my rig balanced so I no longer dive with ditchable weight. If you do want ditchable weights, there are plenty of ways to add integrated weight pockets into the harness. Dive rite sells pockets that will thread onto the harness, XS scuba sells wieght and trim pockets, etc. A weight harness would be one of the last solutions I would look at, IMO.

I've had weight intergrated pockets on my BP/W before and they're ****.
I also keep my rig balanced, part of my balancing is using a crap weightbelt which i'd like to replace with something a bit more secure. I'm diving dry so it can get a bit slippy.

So the DUI weight and trim seems to be the go... can anyone tell me the main difference between the 2 versions and which version would suit me better?

I've used a DUI W&T since my OW checkouts, including with my BP/W. Works fine. The only small issue is that it's possible to confuse the W&T shoulder straps with the BW straps when taking gear off. Doesn't seem to interfere whatsoever with the waist strap, and I can set the weights as high or low as they need to be without fear of them slipping off.

I can't keep the two models straight, but the one I have has the heavier webbing-type shoulder straps that move to adjust without leaving any kind of loose "tail". The other model which I borrowed once has more fabric-like straps that you can pull to cinch down (shorten) sort of like a conventional jacket BC shoulder strap.

I like that the W&T has 4 individual pocket flaps. If I'm only using one pocket per-side I can use the remaining pockets for "other stuff" if needed.

I too, wear a DUI harness with my BP/W combo when diving dry. I was ecstatic to get rid of a weight belt! Nothing hurt more than doing a week of cold water diving and having lead block weight on your hip bones. My hips pointers would be bruised by the end of the week just from the weight.

I have hip burisitis now, a new development since I got my DUI harness back in 2001. I was teaching this past Saturday, all day, and was wearing a wetsuit in the pool. I get cold easily, especially in the pool all day with little movement. I geared up and as soon as I plopped that weight belt on my hips, the discomfort started.

I have the stiffer webbed DUI harness, and have not had any experience with the softer strapped version. The straps do not interfere negatively with the BP harness in my opinion.....all you need is a few extra seconds to sit both where you want them before you stand up fully bearing the weight.

When you first get the harness, if you get the stiffer one, you will have 30 minutes to an hour or so of fitting. Have a friend do it for you. I wore the harness and my dive buddy cinched and tweaked leaving just enough slack to allow for the drysuit. We added a little weight to the harness and he fine-tuned a bit further. It's a rather slow process with the webbing and the buckles, but well worth it as once it's tweaked, it's set for life. He's a bit of a perfectionist, so it may not take you that long. He actually marked with chalk, shifted, tried on, marked again....you get the idea. But it sure fits perfectly, right below my waist belt of my BP harness. Since the rings are the dump mechanism, you can put the crotch strap over or under the harness, whichever is easier.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom