Weight options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wilderydude83

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey, guys (and gals). I'm in the market for a new weight system. Currently I have a basic HOG rig but with a huge green weight belt that is extremely annoying to dive with. What are some other ways to hold lead to my body? I was thinking about those diverite weight pockets.

RoBibbles

How much weight do you need at your hips? (How many lbs. on your weightbelt currently?)
How much lead are you carrying in total?

Other weight-carrying options include: DUI Weight & Trim (as suggested by bthinnes), XS Scuba weight pockets on tank cambands, weight pockets on the waist strap, and switching to a stainless steel BP (if you're currently using an aluminum BP).

In my experience, carrying 6-8 lbs. on a weightbelt really shouldn't be a big deal at all. If comfort is an issue, you could switch to one of those XS Scuba pocketed weight belts combined with soft weights.

First problem is it's green!

How much weight do you need? What suit are you using? Tank - steel or aluminum? There are a number of options available depending on the plate and wing you are diving. For example I use a DSS stainless steel plate and with a 3 mil and an al80 I need 6 lbs in saltwater. Not much to put on a belt. With a 5 mil I use 10. again not much. Change to a steel 95 and I need no extra with the 3 and maybe 2-4 with a 5. Drysuit and steel 95 I use 8lbs bolted to the plate and 10 in the belt with heavy undies.

And just how huge is this belt? a 2 inch web belt is not very big or noticeable. Some of the pocket belts are way too big and so I don't use those. What I have is a plain belt with 4 XS velcro weight pockets on it and usually don't even know it's there.

You could put pockets on the harness if you wanted or the DUI weight and trim harness is an option as well. Integrated BC is just plain blasphemous if he's already in a plate and wing.

Yeah I should have told you my profile. I dive warm water with a diverite ssbackplate. I only dive with about 4-6lbs in warm water and i'll add a couple more when i'm diving in a 3/2 wetsuit. Dive rite has those those weight pockets but i don't know if i wanna put four in one and four in the other. can someone link me some info on dui weight and trim harness? Also, i rent my tanks, so they're usually al80's. How big is my belt you ask? hahahaha effing huge. I think I have i a pic in my pics section if you care to laugh. Anwyho, thanks guys.

Btw, I have a skinny waist and I don't want too much clutter so maybe attaching a few lbs to my tank might be a beeter solution.

Integrated BCD ?????
Or check out DUI's weight and trim systems.

Just checked out DUI's weight system and it looks like overkill for my kind of diving. Whats the customary way to attach weights to the tank? Also, is it still ditchable?

With only 4-6 lbs in the belt, I'd crunch some numbers and see if you can dive with all your weight non-ditchable. If so, a couple of weight pouches on the tank band.

The DUI system would be overkill for a measly 6 pounds.

All the best, James

Did I get that right. You dive 8#'s with an AL80 diving a 3/2 wetsuit in saltwater diving a SS backplate?

Frankly, you may be heavy.

You can switch to steel tanks!

Get two 3# lead hard weights and just weave them onto your upper tanks band, one on each side of the tank. No weightbelt.

You may be pretty close to neutral at 500psi.

Last edited:
I use this:
ImageGen.aspx

It is very comfortable and stays put. I just changed the buckle to a SS one.

Thanks for all the info guys. I'll tell ya what, My LDS got me to buy 18 lbs of lead right before I took my class and I swear I wore all 18lbs on my first pool dive. You shoulda seen me when I descended. I dropped like a brick. I'm 5' 10'' and weigh 165lbs and they sold me 18lbs of lead hahaha. Guess I was just ignorant. Anyways, My girl and I went to the keys and went putzing around in a canal at pennecamp to try kayak diving and I dove with without a weight belt. IT was a little hard for the first three feet or so but after that it was totally possible (def not comfortable though, but possible). I just thought that was kinda funny and ridiculous. Anyways thanks guys.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom