Weight pockets on a BP/W???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lairdb:
Onfloat, are you diving wet or dry; how much weight where? I tried the pockets on the camband and kept getting rolled over.
If you slide the weight pockets down next to the STA you shouldn't have issues. The first time we tried them we staggered them, one on top, one on bottom (because of the velcro position on the camstrap), and turning turtle was an issue. They both need to be on the same camstrap, and as close to the backplate as possible. Don't have one on the "ridge" of the tank like you see in some marketing photos - they only put them there to get a clean shot of the product for the catalog!

Regarding the camstrap, I found it was much easier to deal with when I cut a few inches off the strap - you loose some space there because you're adding the pockets. By shortening the camstrap it will sit much neater, and not have a 6" tail flapping in the breeze.

Regarding ditachable - the regular XS Scuba pockets are easily opened and weights removed with one hand. It is even possible to remove and replace weights when the pockets are on the camstrap (I've done this in the water with 5mm gloves). They just don't "appear" to be ditchable. The quick-attach weight pockets XS Scuba make are NOT any more ditchable either - they simply designed to be attached to webbing more easily without having to unthread buckles, D-rings, etc - it would be much more difficult to remove the entire pocket off the webbing underwater than simply lift the velcro flap and pull the weight out. Mind you, your buddy will need to know this in the event of an emergency where the wearer is unconscious. Cover it in your pre-dive planning.

lairdb:
Onfloat, are you diving wet or dry; how much weight where? I tried the pockets on the camband and kept getting rolled over.

lairdb,
I'm diving dry with a steel tank. When I was in San Diego I would wear about 14lbs spread out on my rig(most of it on the cam bands) with a SS backplate. Now that I'm in Hawaii and I wear sweats under my drysuit (yes, I'm still diving dry) I only wear 4lbs.

To echo what Scubaroo said the pockets on the camband have to be right up against the sta (one on each side of the tank) or backplate if you are not using a sta. That way the weight is right on your back close to your center. I also agree with his point about the ditchable weight and the different pockets.

Scubaroo:
If you slide the weight pockets down next to the STA you shouldn't have issues. The first time we tried them we staggered them, one on top, one on bottom (because of the velcro position on the camstrap), and turning turtle was an issue. They both need to be on the same camstrap, and as close to the backplate as possible.

Hmmm -- yeah, I did that, and still had turtle troubles. Hmm.

onfloat:
lairdb,
I'm diving dry with a steel tank. When I was in San Diego I would wear about 14lbs spread out on my rig(most of it on the cam bands) with a SS backplate. Now that I'm in Hawaii and I wear sweats under my drysuit (yes, I'm still diving dry) I only wear 4lbs.

[...] I also agree with his point about the ditchable weight and the different pockets.

I also agree on the ditchability; perhaps I was feeling disclaimer-ish earlier. Like Scubaroo, I've also had occasion to stuff and unstuff them underwater.

When I tried it, I was diving wet with an AL72 (also in San Diego) with an SS backplate (no STA; cam bands through wing and backplate) with 4 pounds on the belt and 4 on the upper camband. Hmmm.

DivingCRNA:
I am putting together a BP/W set-up. My question now is:

Do I get the pockets with dumpable weights that goes on the harness or should I wear a belt? Which is DIR?

What makes more sense?

I am just looking for the voice of experience on this before dropping $100 or so on something that doesn't work any better than the belt I already have.

There are alot of different configurations to take in account.

Are you diving a single tank or doubles?
Are you diving AL or Steel?
Are you diving drysuit? and if so Shell or compressed neoprene?
What fins are you using? Jet Fins/Turtles or other lighter fins?

I dive double AL80 with a SS B/P and a 7 lbs v-weight (goes on to the bolts for the tanks before the BP and harness Non-ditchable). I wear a shell drysuit and Jetfins.I do not need any extra weight on a belt then that.

If your looking for a DIR answer to belt or on the actually harness of the BP. It would be weight belt. NOTHING not needed should be on the harness at anytime I believe.

If you already have a belt then your ready. If your using doubles then grab a v-weight. there about $30-$60 and range from about 7lbs and 11lbs

lairdb:
If I recall correctly (it's hard to keep track) the pull-handle pockets (e.g. Halcyon ACB20) are currently out of fashion with the DIR folks

:11: OMG, I have Halycon's Active Control Ballast System on my B/P wing, and now your telling me, I'm not cool anymore.

Shesh, The whole reason I bought it was to try to be cool, and to look like I knew what I was doing. :D

Back to the drawing board.

Lil' Irish Temper:
:11: OMG, I have Halycon's Active Control Ballast System on my B/P wing, and now your telling me, I'm not cool anymore.

Shesh, The whole reason I bought it was to try to be cool, and to look like I knew what I was doing. :D

Back to the drawing board.

Clearly your subscriptions to InDIRStyle and DIRVogue have lapsed, or you haven't been paying attention.

In good news for you, however, black is "the new black", so you're probably OK again there.

lairdb:
Clearly your subscriptions to InDIRStyle and DIRVogue have lapsed, or you haven't been paying attention.

In good news for you, however, black is "the new black", so you're probably OK again there.

:lol: Black is the "Timeless Classic"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom