Weight requirement BP/W vs BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SRQ Bill

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I currently use an Oceanic Islander BCD and am considering going to a stainless steel BP/W setup. I currently need to carry about 16 lbs of lead. Any idea what I would need to carry with a SS wing? Thanks much!

Agree. 8# would be a good start. There may be other buoyant items in your current setup that could be simplified and reduce the need for lead.

A standard stainless steel backplate is around 6 lbs negatively buoyant. Where as an aluminum backplate is 2-3 lbs negatively buoyant. A typical BCD is 2-4 lbs positively buoyant. So do the math and go from there.

Roughly, the Oceanic is probably 2 lbs positive so with the 6 lbs neg of the backplate, your looking at about 8 lbs........or whatever the previous posts said.....lol. That may change a bit if your using an STA and SS tank bands.

You won't see this very often - near consensus. :) But, I agree - an 8lb difference (decrease in added weight) is a good starting point - 6lb for the SS plate that you will now be wearing, and 2lb for the current positive buoyancy of the Islander.

Do us a favor - when you make the change, and sort out your weighting, come back with a post to let everyone know what the actual difference was.

Most often I see a total "belt" reduction of about 10 lbs. 6 for the SS plate and harness, 2 ish for the inherently buoyant bc, and 2 ish more just from closer attention to total weighting.

Tobin

Does the Wing on its own have some positive buoyancy which needs to be offset in the calculation ?

Does the Wing on its own have some positive buoyancy which needs to be offset in the calculation ?

Typically a well designed wing includes no inherent buoyancy and can be fully or very close to fully vented. If you take any DSS wing and empty the bladder then throw it in the pool you will find it on the bottom.

No neoprene pads, no padded cumber buns, no padded harness components, etc.

Tobin

Back
Top Bottom