Weighting question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shardison

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi All,

I'm sure that I'm not the first to ask questions about proper weighting, but here it goes!

I just purchased all of my own gear and have not had a chance to get weighted properly in salt water.

I'm 173 lbs and about 5' 9'' diving a 5mm full suit. I'm going to Cozumel in a couple days and need to know what suggested weight i might start with. :idk:

I managed to get to the pool to at least know what my fresh water weight is (16 lbs.) using the exact setup I will be using down there.

And one other question: If i find that i get too warm in my 5mm and drop back to a 3mm shorty, how much weight should i take off.

I know any suggestion is just a "guess" as everyone is different, but I'd like to have an idea of where to start.

Thanks,

Im just going to throw this out there... Yes it has been asked several times... To answer your question I must first say that 16lbs seems a bit much for you in fresh water in a 5mm wet suit given the height and weight you stated. Your probably over-weighted.. You should be looking to be able to maintain neutral bouyancy at 10-15', thats it. You need 4.92lbs to maintain whatever neg/neutral bouyancy you are currently at..

Thats in your 5mm, 3mm shorty drop 2-3lbs.

Brendon,

Thanks for the info... Yes, I was a little heavy at 16lbs (14.50) worked pretty well for me when i was using weight belts... I now have a Hollis HD100 integreted BC. My local dive shop guy told me that I should weight my pockets evenly so as to not get the "roll" effect. 14 was just a tad light as I had to kick to get my self down, and I also couldn't fin pivot at about 12 ft (pool Bottom). When I would inhale, my whole body would come off the bottom. (guess i don't have as much muscle as I used too...)

I'll start at 20 lbs. for my first dive and adjust from there.

Thanks again!!

Back
Top Bottom