weights on aluminum 80s?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SWAMPY459

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
OK, I've tried both ways.. with weights on my harness and weights on my tanks. I'm torn between the two. I really like the weights on the tanks, except when I try something like gunning one tank, then its very disadvantageous.

In looking around online I've seen posts that Edd Sorenson teaches weights on tanks.
I've seen older posts by Rob that he (at least a few years ago) used them
I've seen several posts pro-"use the front d ring" method

I'm wondering how many of you (who dive wet with aluminum 80's) use weights on the tanks?
Who doesn't?

What's your experience / reasoning behind your decision to do or not do either method?

assume both open water diving and limited (intro level) overhead diving

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Not me. Don't need them, trim is pretty good without. Easier to handle without.
sm2.jpg

I rarely dive AL80's ... only when on MX cave trips ... but found that a 2-lb weight on the cam band of the tank suffices.

When you talk about "gunning" the tank, is that unclipping the back and moving the tank forward in front of you? With a partly full AL80, the back end would want to float up when you do that. Seems like putting a couple pounds of lead back there would make this exercise easier rather than harder.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

What's your experience / reasoning behind your decision to do or not do either method?

I'd offer that most sidemount rigs with butt plates and integral bladders just aren't designed for hip-clipping of tanks so if you own one of those harnesses then putting weights on aluminum tanks is the obvious/easiest solution.. The few times that I dove Al80s I had 4 pound weights on cam straps with no issues.

I rarely dive AL80's ... only when on MX cave trips ... but found that a 2-lb weight on the cam band of the tank suffices.

When you talk about "gunning" the tank, is that unclipping the back and moving the tank forward in front of you? With a partly full AL80, the back end would want to float up when you do that. Seems like putting a couple pounds of lead back there would make this exercise easier rather than harder.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

No, unclipping the tank entirely and holding it out like a pistol... look at at 6 minutes in in this video: Sidemount Skill Demo on Vimeo

sort of like "no mount" on one side and sidemount on the other

I'd offer that most sidemount rigs with butt plates and integral bladders just aren't designed for hip-clipping of tanks so if you own one of those harnesses then putting weights on aluminum tanks is the obvious/easiest solution.. The few times that I dove Al80s I had 4 pound weights on cam straps with no issues.
Yeah same for me. Not to mention that some neck bungies will pop off the knobs if the tanks "roll up"

The whole issue of putting weights on cylinders seems scary to me. It seems like there's a danger of "passing the buck" for weight that should rightfully live on the belt or harness.

I have been strictly trained that in SM "your tanks are not part of your weighting system". This allows bottom gas and/or stages to be attached/detached/ditched/added as necessary while remaining safely balanced. The rest of your rig must be balanced even without the tanks.

If you have heavy tanks, that's fine: the BC is there to counteract. This is why steel tank SM divers -- or those who dive lots of stages -- need more lift: to balance heavy tanks and the gas in them.

Adding a little weight to the lower part AL80s to make them trim out more flat... I can see an argument for that. I also see a danger in assuming that this weight is part of your overall weighting system.

I have been trained to deal with the buoyancy characteristics of AL80s as they come, with no extra weight. When full, the bottom bolt snap attaches to my hip d-ring. Below around 2500psi, the bottom moves to a sliding D-ring forward of those. By 500psi per side, the sliding D-rings are forward almost to my waist buckle. This keeps the AL80s trimmed pretty well.

I don't see weights on tanks as a big issue as long as there's still enough weight on the rest of your rig to be balanced. I do think that relying on tank weights could limit your ability to switch, mix, and match tanks.

Proper balance without the tanks allows you to get rid of one or more of your tanks in an emergency situation (worst case, all of them) share air with a buddy and safely make all your stops to the surface. I would hope that all SM divers who dive heavy steel or weighted AL tanks are still able to do this.

Back
Top Bottom