Weird experience today - ox tox warning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow..This thread scared me....but it's all good, keeps me humble and diving at 1.4 or adjusting my mix down on deeper dives. One place I don't want to push the envelope is with O2 toxicity.

This thread has been brought back. Please play nice, or it will be pulled again.
If you don't like how it has been edited, you can PM me. I took my Friday night to bring this back to the board.

Thanks Natasha, YOU ROCK!

Remember, O2 tox has many variables only a few of which we know and track.
The limits set by sport diving agencies do have some level of conservatism but that doesn't mean you can't tox even at these levels.

If you start to show symptoms of O2 tox, start up and switch to a gas with lower PPO2 if available.

I don't understand why you would want to push the ragged limits of O2 exposure that way.

Natasha,

Why was this thread pulled? Seemed a lot more civil than other threads going on in other parts of the board right now.

Anyway,

Scubaholic,

Did you get a chance to write down your 7 dive-a-day profile? If you don't want to post it public, send it to me in a PM. I'm currious how your working it out at those depths. Not that I want to go do it, but I don't see how it is possible unless you're talking about a very long dive day. Which, in it's own right, poses more risk to the diver. No bash, just inquisitive.

mempilot:
Natasha,

Why was this thread pulled? Seemed a lot more civil than other threads going on in other parts of the board right now.

Good question. There was nothing in it that was offensive. Without being specific, someone posted they were highly offended by a comment I made, and demanded immediate removal. The moderator then not only removed that post, but several posts in which I defended myself, and which had nothing to do with the request for removal. :rolleyes:

Anyway,

Scubaholic,

Did you get a chance to write down your 7 dive-a-day profile? If you don't want to post it public, send it to me in a PM. I'm currious how your working it out at those depths. Not that I want to go do it, but I don't see how it is possible unless you're talking about a very long dive day. Which, in it's own right, poses more risk to the diver. No bash, just inquisitive.

I can't find my Suunto cable to upload from the dive computer to the PC. Still looking. I have no problem posting it publically.

I will make a LAST post on this.

The thread being pulled was a glitch in the system.
The thread is back because O2 tox is an important subject and worthy of discussion here.

This is the accidents and incidents forum. In here our focus needs to remain, What happened, Why did it happen, How can we prevent it in the future. Personal comments about the people involved are not proper here.

The TOS (terms of service) is in the FAQ.
There is an additional set of rules for this forum in a 'sticky' thread at the top of this forum.

There is a proper procedure for responding to an insulting or attacking post. You click on the "Report" button on the offending post. This sends a report to the mods who will handle it. Personal attacks, insults and responses to them in this forum will be deleted on sight and MAY result in suspension for the poster.
If you have a problem, use the report button or PM a mod.
There have been too many Moderator hours spent on this thread already.

O2 TOX ---- That is the subject.

pipedope:
I will make a LAST post on this.

The thread being pulled was a glitch in the system.
The thread is back because O2 tox is an important subject and worthy of discussion here.

This is the accidents and incidents forum. In here our focus needs to remain, What happened, Why did it happen, How can we prevent it in the future. Personal comments about the people involved are not proper here.

The TOS (terms of service) is in the FAQ.
There is an additional set of rules for this forum in a 'sticky' thread at the top of this forum.

There is a proper procedure for responding to an insulting or attacking post. You click on the "Report" button on the offending post. This sends a report to the mods who will handle it. Personal attacks, insults and responses to them in this forum will be deleted on sight and MAY result in suspension for the poster.
If you have a problem, use the report button or PM a mod.
There have been too many Moderator hours spent on this thread already.

O2 TOX ---- That is the subject.

Michael, with all due respect and admiration, the thread was not pulled due to a "glitch" in the system. The thread was intentionally pulled, and I got a PM within 15 minutes of it being intentionally pulled, with a rather vague explanation. Not that it is important that it was pulled, or why it was pulled, but it is misleading to call it a "glitch."

Perhaps since I started this thread, I can summarize its intent, as well as it's efficacy in solving the original conundrum of the deep dives. As it turns out, the old boy did not ox tox, and was likely not going to ox tox any time in the near future. The mixes were a little rich, and did in fact cause one of two computers to register 100 OLF exposure (while the redundant computer kept the OLF at around 50%).

And the symptoms? More than likely the result of diving on very little sleep, perhaps some mild nitrogen narcosis from being at 140, and even perhaps secondary to seasick medication, necessitated by the unpleasant marine conditions.

In evaluating my errors, I would itemize the following things that I need to evaluate:

1. Bring a broader range of mixes on my trips, so that in the event the plan changes, I can dive with no more than a 1.5 PPO;

2. Evaluate my dives my thoroughly, and avoid complacency that can occur by relying solely on the dive computer;

3. I will likely switch computers after logging hundreds of dives on my Suunto, I am not real happy that the Cobra had me at 100% when I was not. The Vytec stayed true, so I'll likely just take the Cobra off my HP hose, and attach a back-up SPG and Depth Gauge.

Well, that is it. So, even those of us with a lot of dives must step back from time to time and ask ourselves if we are getting sloppy. I do not have the empirical data to back this up, but I would venture a guess that many divers who get hurt or killed had a lot of dives and got lazy. That, in my opinion, is really what this thread is about. An acute mind is essential to safe diving.

Scubaholic, I'd like you to answer this question: Why would you want to push the limits of O2 exposure by diving at 1.6 ATA and above when you can use other gas mixes that don't?

jonnythan:
Scubaholic, I'd like you to answer this question: Why would you want to push the limits of O2 exposure by diving at 1.6 ATA and above when you can use other gas mixes that don't?
I didn't want to. I thought our first spot was shallower, I believe around 128 - 131. It turned out deeper. I would have been absolutely fine with a 30% EAN at 131, and probably not cause my console computer to freak out.

But, your question raises a good point, and I meant to add a "4" to the list, and that is to bring a rich mix for my deco stops, or even just for offgassing on safety stops (non-mandatory decompression stops). The Vytec allows up to three gases, so that will also allow me more bottom time by being able to track OLF and Nitrogen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom