Weird experience today - ox tox warning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeddah Aquanaut:
If he wanted to go to 139 feet, which is of course beyond normal recreational depths, then why was he using nitrox? Should have used air.

not necessarily. he could have used a 26% O2 mix, and stay
within the 1.4 ata limit.

above all, he should have known his gas limits and stayed
within them, whatever that gas happened to be.

in other words, he should have planned his dive and dived his plan

Jeddah Aquanaut:
Should have used air. Either his instructor didn't make it clear enough to him about limits with nitrox, or he ignored them.

Completely untrue. Perhaps it is your instructor that forgot to fill you in on some things. There are good divers who dive Nitrox to below 150fsw.

Scubaholic might think it's cool and aggressive, but who's he trying to impress?

How can I try to make this clear. I am not trying to impress anyone. Guys that are trying to impress do not post publicly saying, "I had a problem....here it is."

....make some of his wonder multi-multi dive day's profiles available for people to peruse for themselves. After all, stories like his are great examples as How-not-to's.

Seven dives is not wonderous. I will be glad to post them up, give me a chance.

reubencahn:
A couple times in this thread, the subject of repetitive multi-day diving on liveaboards has come up. I've never seen a good thread discussing sensible dive planning for such circumstances. How about a thread where some of you lay out your views on what would be the most sensible way to plan such diving? How many dives would you do per day? Max depths? Use computer or no? Vplanner? Break after so many days? Anything else you think should go into good planning?

Start a thread. I'll join in.

tampascott:
Seven dives is certainly doable at those depths. Spearfishermen do it in the Gulf over here.
Go back and look at the gas mix, number of dives per day, and frequency per week. It doesn't work out by my calculations, but I don't presume to be the mix master either. He gives a final dive depth of 130' on the seventh dive. Decoplanner with 7 Nitrox dives for depths varying between 100 and 130 and a reasonable SI max's on the O2. There may be a way to make it work out like a puzzle, but why? Why not just make 3 long dives with longer SI's and a lower overall BT for the day? You may still come close to maxing O2 exposure, but have a lot more BT since you only descend/ascend 3 times intead of 7.

Jeddah Aquanaut:
If he wanted to go to 139 feet, which is of course beyond normal recreational depths, then why was he using nitrox? Should have used air.
I dive nitrox to 185. Maybe you're thinking of the standard ean32 and ean36 mixes. Nitrox includes mixes from 99% down to 1%. The practical range for obvious reasons is 25% to 80%. Below 25 most just dive air, and above 80 most just use 100 - at the appropriate MOD's of course.

reubencahn once bubbled:
A couple times in this thread, the subject of repetitive multi-day diving on liveaboards has come up. I've never seen a good thread discussing sensible dive planning for such circumstances. How about a thread where some of you lay out your views on what would be the most sensible way to plan such diving? How many dives would you do per day? Max depths? Use computer or no? Vplanner? Break after so many days? Anything else you think should go into good planning?

I´m also interested...
I usually do 3-4 dives/day during a one week live-aboard.
Because the dives tend to be pretty deep only one or two will be on nitrox. My limit because of pricing tend to be around 30% for me to consider it worth the effort.

Anyways I have a hard time seeing how you´d manage to get 6 or 7 dives a day, that would still be worth the effort, without smashing thru all kinds of ceilings.

I haven´t tried calculating doing that many, partly because doing 20+ dives in 6 days leaves me tired as it is and because I didn´t think it could be done.

Will you guys prove me wrong? :06:

Here's a theory that popped up on another board in a similar discussion - CO2 being a catalyst for an oxtox hit. If CO2 is being retained because of high workload or poor breathing practice, it can trigger oxygen toxicity at lower PPO2s - so if you're struggling against a current, or skipbreath, you could possibly oxtox at 1.6 or lower.

I'm not trying to attack anyone but for those of you who don't want to think about your own health, please think about those people whose job is to go and get you out... They will be much happier if you don't kill yourself and maybe in the process kill them too...

btw. if I would go diving this kind of profiles I would never do it depending only on my computer (no matter how good it is...) and I wouldn't drink the night before... (but you already know that - the only thing we don't know is why are you asking questions in the first place if you know everything...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom