We're going to Cat Island,Bahamas-recent reports?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saildiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Fairfield, Iowa, USA-and on our sailboat Mana-Ni-W
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
In mid Feb.my wife and I are planning to possibly explore Cat Island-has any one had any recent experience with Hawksnest and/or Greenwood Divers there? Do they both dive the same sites? Is one better for more experienced divers? We prefer to go with organizations that recognize that divers with experience can dive a different profile-how flexible are they in this way? What are the accomodations like? How is the diving-visability,fishlife,coral vigor comparisons at the sites dove by both organizations? Are there any other dive groups on the island,or other good places to stay where you can still take advantage of the best diving. We will really appreciate any help or information anyone has about"The Cat"(can't find much on the ethernet). We really need a good rest! Mahalo....peace....Saildiver.

Anyone on Cat now? PM me...good friends are there for a week, one spending his time as the doc on the island. Would love to shock them with a Hello passed on from a native. :wink:

Jim

I just got back Friday the 11th from diving the Exumas and Eleuthera, right next to Cat island. I did a week aboard the Cat Ppalu, a live aboard out of Nassau. I was aboard for a week and 3 days were overcast and a jacket was needed. The other 4 days were sunny and temps were 75 to 80. As afar as the diving, it was awesome. The sites we hit in Eleuthera, the coral was in great condition, and I saw a lot of marine life. Hope this is helpful.
Chris

Vtdiver2:
The sites we hit in Eleuthera, the coral was in great condition, and I saw a lot of marine life. Hope this is helpful.
Eleuthera?! Are you sure you were in Eleuthera? If so, could you determine where around the island you were diving? I spent all last summer teaching marine science off the Cape, and the reefs are in deplorable condition throughout. Not a single spot lacking a blanket of network algae, and the fish populations are way down. I've been hearing that conditions aren't much better in Andros.

Did you dive off the southern point of the island (where the lighthouse is)? I've only wandered the land parts myself, but dang that area is pretty!

Yes, sadly Andros is painfully covered in algae. We were very sad! The blue holes were magnificent, but most of the reefs are in awful shape. that was last year.

We were in Harbour Island this year off Eleuthera, and the diving was far better. Reefs in much better shape. Don't know if the location was the key or not.
take care

Back
Top Bottom