West Bank Park Mapping Operation - Soliciting Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mom can operate the rangefinder, if she really wants to...

for those that want to participate in this effort, can we set a date? I don't want to loose the aparant momentum we have right now :D

Flightlead:
for those that want to participate in this effort, can we set a date? I don't want to loose the aparant momentum we have right now :D

To get everyone to agree on a date and time that works best for each person is usually difficult. We used to go thru this all the time in years past with the Looney Birds Dive N Dines and what we just started doing is throwing out a date / time. If you can make it great, if not we would see you later. No hard feelings.

What date / time works best for you? Just post it as the "official" date /time we are to meet. If everyone can make it the great if they can't make it on that day then I'm sure there will be another day that you will need everone to meet up to help out on the project.

Also it might be helpful to have some "surface support" people out when we do it too.

Just my 02psi worth. I'm looking forward to it!

J:

I'm bringing this thread back up. Did anything ever happen with this project ?

Dove WBP for the first time a few weeks ago. ekewaka showed me the start of the line (near the buoy) and we went to the wood pile.

Being a cave diver, all these lines are interesting to me. Anyone has a rough drawing of the main lines and where they lead.

I'm thinking of maybe doing an easy survey. Thinking of getting headings and distances between tie-in points. Could be as easy as using kick count for distances for now then maybe using a marked reel to get more accurate length. I don't care how they relate to the surface it's more about knowing where what goes where.

Also, how bad is boat traffic in that area ?

What about other lines than the one starting at that little beach on the left after the entrance ? Someone mentioned tennis court at some point.

Hey chimie

We made a few trips, mostly Ed, Mark, and myself though a few others helped on the one day. we were hampered by technical difficulties and perhaps a lack of focus. However we do have some of the lines mapped and measured. My plan was exactly as you outline. once the lines as they stand today are mapped the areas in between can be filled in. we have already located one additional tree pile and a sunken boat by straying off the lines, however we can't find them again :) any help is gratefully accepted. do you have a range finder by any chance?

Hehe, *I've* got a range finder... (I've *got* to meet up with everyone at WBP one of these days, months, or years.)

now that's dedication to come from BR to Lanier :) Ever dive the False River west of BR? I lived in New Roads there for a while in '04. Loved the people and the food!

Flightlead:
now that's dedication to come from BR to Lanier :) Ever dive the False River west of BR? I lived in New Roads there for a while in '04. Loved the people and the food!
Haven't tried False River. I believe that it's about the same as Raccourci Old River (the U-shaped one above the C-shaped one that is False River). The visibility there can be described by a simple algorithm:
if (depth > 0) { visibility = 0; }​
When you press your gauges against your mask and you *still* can't see them, it's not exactly great diving. :biggrin:

(I've been to Dive Haven before, but I haven't made it to WBP yet. The last time I was in the area, I was working a (land) cleanup with the Georgia Geocachers Association, but I didn't have time to get some diving in.)

Let me know when this is going on. Would like to get in on it.

is this still in the planning stages or is it a possible go, and if so when, i need to get cleared by the doctor to dive since i had nose surgery 2 weeks ago, but he said since i could fly, i assume i can dive.

Back
Top Bottom