West Bank Park Mapping Operation - Soliciting Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Flightlead:
I was in a discussion the other night with a local dive shop owner about this project. He was telling me that DNR/Parks Dept/The Man is not real happy about divers in the lake. In particular that if they know where divers have run lines they will remove them. I would like the local dive community to have the map, but I don't want DNR to pull up all the lines. I think putting the URL for the map on a sign on the 80' platform or somewhere similar would make it more likely that only interested divers would get it. Or am I being paranoid?

Yea, the Parks Dept or whomever manages the lake has really missed the boat on this one. Lanier has such great potential. If they would just block off a tiny section out at WBP and let the dive shops and professionals setup a "underwater park" it would be great. Yea everything that is done out there is by covert operations but the good thing is that once something is "laid out" on the bottom I don't think anyone comes by and cuts the line, at least not from the park service. Now if there are other divers and instructors out there diving and think that the line is an entanglement hazard then they will cut it and remove it in a heartbeat.

J:

JKSteger:
If they would just block off a tiny section out at WBP and let the dive shops and professionals setup a "underwater park" it would be great.
They would probably raise the price to $20 a day.

Gentlemen:

If I may make a suggestion, how about contacting SAMSOG (Surveying and Mapping Society of Georgia) to see if there’s a local surveyor who is also a diver. The SAMSOG link is:

http://www.samsog.org/

With a pair of Thales Mobile Mappers and a hand held depth finder, the project is quite easy and highly accurate. One of the Mappers stays on shore on a fixed point. The roving Mapper, in a waterproof bag, such as a Coghlan’s or Ewa Marine bags, on a float collects four seconds worth of data every time the dive takes a reading with the depth finder. The depth goes into the point descriptor.

After post-processing the data, the points can be dumped into a spreadsheet so that the depths can be subtracted from the elevation of each shot to give an actual bottom elevation.

Contours can be generated from the data.
Points of interest can be added by locating the point with your "milk jug" method and collected with the roving Mobile Mapper.

The post-processed GPS data will be accurate to roughly 50cm…better than you can actually mark the object on the bottom.

I will be starting a Dive Master program later this year (for the education - not the ability to teach). I have thought long and hard about my mapping project. After speaking with a number of professional surveyors who also dive, this was the most effective way we could devise for mapping small scale projects without the expense of hiring marine surveyors with very expensive survey-grade side-scan radar equipment.

Just my two cents worth, gentlemen.

Cheers…and good luck to you!

Ian Wilson
California Professional Land Surveyor #7010.

Robert Gould over at divers supply is a surveyor I'll see if he has any interest in this project

ianw2,

Yep, I suppose we could do that, but then it'd take all of the fun out of it for us, now wouldn't it ????

the K

Nah, it'd still be fun. We'd just have the answer key to compare our results to. (The gloating factor if your results match the super-expensive ones is worth its weight in lead.) :D

Hey, SOMEONE's gotta do the diving! Why not leave the boring computer stuff to the guy who does it for a living?:D

The name Robert Gould rings a bell. Ask him if he knows me. I wrote a few articles for POB magazine a few years back.

The Mobile Mappers will give you better data and provide real bottom elevations, too. The laser ranger could be a bit problematic for good data under less-than-ideal conditions - although a lake of that size doesn't have tides, etc.

I wish I could join you guys! If you feel some cold, salty water when you're diving on this project...that's me diving with you in "spirit"...:coffee:

Ian

Hey, guys, keep in mind that May 13th is Mother's Day ! ! ! !

I don't want to have to be buying memorial flowers for anyone!!!

the K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom