West Bay Roatan Honduras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boxxstudio

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife does not dive. So when we look at areas with good warm water diving for vacation, we also look for other beach amenities, which I enjoy as well after diving in the mornings. We have been traveling to Cozumel Mexico the last several years because I enjoy the diving there so much. She thought we needed a change and so we decided to give Roatan Honduras a try

We recently returned from 6 days at the Infinity Bay Resort. I used their on property dive operator, Infinity Divers, for 6 days of morning dives. Infinity Divers manager, Claudio, had been very prompt in responding to my emails. So after finding loads of great reviews on Trip Advisor, I booked my dive package online.

Infinity Divers have two nice, large boats and also use a couple of smaller boats, when there are larger groups. All the boats have canopies. The dock for the dive boats is conveniently located directly in front of the resort. The dive masters were all friendly and knowledgeable. I especially appreciated the dive briefings. Once we arrived at the dive site, with the boat motor off, our group would gather at the bow to discuss the dive plan, how we would communicate our air consumption, how we would communicate any issues we were having underwater, general safety and how to evacuate the boat should it capsize. We were also made aware of the additional back-up gear that they had on board in the event that someone had a damaged mask or regulator etc. Hands down, the best dive briefings I have ever experienced. As mentioned previously, a lot of my warm water diving has been in Cozumel Mexico. And although I have had some good dive briefings there, it’s always over the roar of the boat motor and usually while organizing my kit. Infinity Divers also keeps to their schedule. Every morning I arrived at the dock by 8:15am and Claudio was there, remembering everyone’s name, and instructing them which dive boat they were scheduled to use that day. He was very organized in running the operation. The boats promptly left the dock and I was back at the resort by 11:30-12:00. I did not do any shore diving but the reef is very accessible and divers can go shore diving at their leisure. They offer valet service, free of charge, to rinse and store your kit should you bring your own gear. I bring all my own gear and prefer to clean it myself after each day of diving. But that’s just me. Their dive boats have the bucket style tank holders vs the plastic clip tank holders. I very much prefer this style. I use the same BCD, Zeagle Ranger, for both cold and warm water diving. This BCD has two tank bands and weight porches on the upper tank band for trim weights. The plastic clips make for placing the BCD on the tank a real hassle and interferes with the placement of the straps and trim weight pouches. The bucket style means that the top 2/3 or the tank are accessible and makes attaching any style of BCD easy. The dive shop appears to have a nice selection of gear for purchase. Their rental gear appeared to be newer and in excellent condition. Also during the week, my reading glasses had a screw that became loose. So when I was in the dive shop, a member of staff provided a very small philips screwdriver for me to tighten them. Much appreciated. The dive staff never made a request for tips but I think it is always appropriate to give a good dive master a gratuity. The diving is fantastic although I was told by a dive buddy who dives there frequently that the visibility had not been at it’s best because of some extreme rain the week prior. One of the highlights was seeing two spotted eagle rays. I’ve seen them at a distance but never so close. I find the diving comparable to Cozumel with the exception that all the dives are not drift dives. We did some as drift dives and some where we returned to where the boat was anchored. What I liked most about the lack of current is that I never found myself fighting to hold my position to see something in a crevice or use my camera. Also, the reef is so close. I rarely even had time to dismantle my kit before we returned to the dock at the end of the second dive. When I was researching Roatan, I had private messaged a contributor on Trip Advisor with a number of questions. He wrote, "If you are a diver, this will not be your last trip to Roatan". I’m already planning my next trip.

I wrote reviews for both Infinity Bay Resort and Infinity Divers on Trip Advisor with more travel specific details, for anyone interested.

Did your wife enjoy the sand fleas?

I like Roatan too.....I liked it 15 years ago:)

We stayed at the Mayan Princess Beach & Dive Resort and dove with the onsite operator. The diving was great, but have to say the star attraction was the gorgeous beach at West Bay. I remember many mornings when the water as absolutely flat; like crystal clear glass. Going for those early morning swims up-n-down the beach in silence, with no people or boats around, is something I will never forget.

We both loved the Island. Neither of us had issues with sand fleas. The resort did rake the sand so perhaps that had something to do with it.

Sand fleas are cyclical, they are usually worse a week after big rains from what I have been told. There are a few great sprays that are non-toxic to environment that you can use when on the beach to prevent bites, too. We never had a problem for that reason.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom