Western Mexico?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Black Cat

Registered
Reaction score
I've been diving in the PDC/Cozumel area and love it? Any good diving on the western side of Mexico such as Cabo, Puerto Vallarta or Ixtapa? I'd imagine the Yucatán is hard to beat as far as Mexico is concerned.

Cabo Pulmo, East Cape in Sea of Cortez hands down. Have you seen such scenery below in PDC/Cozumel?

IMG_3225.JPG

Last edited:
I'm heading on down to Puerto Vallarta on May 6. I've only been to Los Arcos (for diving) in the past and it was not great but it was not bad. My girlfriend has not been there so our plan is to do a lot of eating (muchos camarones) and some tourist stuff plus while we are there she's going to get OW certified. I've seen some pics recently and the diving actually looked very good. I'll find out soon. In any case I just like PV and think it's a very interesting town with lots of art and crafts and shoes and great food and very nice people. There are some secluded beaches that can only be accessed by boat (water taxi) if you like that sort of thing. Apparently we will be departing from Mismaloya which is just South of PV and very close to Los Arcos and some other dive spots. We are only committed to a few dives so far but we can add more if it's good. I have not yet been to the Sea of Cortez but it's on my bucket list. I've heard nice things about La Paz.

PV is small enough that you can walk most places plus the local bus is very cheap (it was 6.5 pesos but I think it's up to 7.5 pesos plus another 5-10 pesos to tip the live entertainment). There is a visitor's center right about in the middle of the malecon (sea wall, in Centro) and they have free information on many different activities. Chico's Dive Shop is right on the malecon (North of the middle) but they've been getting really bad reviews lately. I'm going with PV Ocean Tours on this trip but will probably inquire at Mismaloya Divers too. It's not Cozumel but I don't need 100' + visibility to have a good time. We just visited some old friends a couple days ago and they recently went to PV--twice. They liked it so much that they went back after about five weeks. I don't think they did any diving though.

You can read this post about Baja California Sur that I wrote a little while back.
First trip to Baja California / Cortez / Los Cabos?

The Baja is much different than the Caribbean, typically visibility is lower, water a little colder and the logistics are a little more involved, typically longer boat rides and travel times. However it is rewarding as you will see bigger creatures and larger schools of fish. It is very seasonal with different marine life visiting the Sea of Cortez through out the year.

If you love PDC and Cozumel because of the super clear waters than you will want to visit the Baja in sep/oct/nov.

FB_IMG_1491620629959.jpg
Visibility was very low 2-6 weeks ago alonng the whole costalegra coast, Manzanillo to PV. Ranged from worst 5 ft to best maybe 20ft. Snorkeling wasn't even any good. Water was quite warm. It's probably the worst ive seen it in past 8 yrs of snorkeling there.

I've been diving in the PDC/Cozumel area and love it? Any good diving on the western side of Mexico such as Cabo, Puerto Vallarta or Ixtapa? I'd imagine the Yucatán is hard to beat as far as Mexico is concerned.

Jacques Cousteau once called Mexico's Sea of Cortez 'the world's aquarium'
The Sea of Cortez is home to sea lions, whale sharks, manta and mobula rays, dolphins, huge schools of fish and some fascinating macro life. It is one of the easiest "big animal" destinations to reach and enjoy. La Paz, Cabo, Loreto, and the northern Sea of Cortez all have excellent diving.

Diving in Baja & La Paz

Last edited:
Heading to Punta Mita near Puerto Vallarta next week - looking at diving El Morro and perhaps LOs Caletas (so others in party can enjoy the island) - looking at going with Puerto Vallarta Adventures on the dives.. anyone have any experience with these dive sites and/or dive operator? Have heard El Morro is where to see Manta Rays and a very nice site. lesser expectations for Los Caletas but still would appreciate any input...

I'm going with PV Ocean Tours (next week also) which I was referred to by PV Sea Dive who highly recommended them. I also plan on checking out Mismaloya Divers if they are there when I'm in Mismaloya. I dove with Chico's a few years ago and they were fine but since then their ratings have declined.

I'm going with PV Ocean Tours (next week also) which I was referred to by PV Sea Dive who highly recommended them. I also plan on checking out Mismaloya Divers if they are there when I'm in Mismaloya. I dove with Chico's a few years ago and they were fine but since then their ratings have declined.
I cross posted this on a Sayulita PV thread and someone replied they dove yesterday at Los Arcos and visibility was awful due to a big algae bloom.. just as a heads up to you since you will be there same time...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom