• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Wetsuit for Cozumel in mid-March?

Discussion in 'Cozumel' started by Rob9876, Feb 21, 2019.

1. Rob9876

Rob9876 Barracuda

My son and I will be diving in Cozumel from March 18-22. We're fairly new divers, and it seems we've been spending a jillion dollars on getting equipment. As for wetsuits, right now we both have only 5mm wetsuits.

We'll be doing reef dives (no cenotes) and probably not much deeper than 80 feet. I think we would both prefer to dive in just swimsuit and rashguard if it is warm enough. However, we will be doing 2 night dives and I believe some folks said that there can be jellies (especially at night).

Bottom line: I'm wondering if I need to buy 3mm suits for both of us, or if I can save money and packing space and just not use a wetsuit?

P.S.: I don't think we'd be interested in shorties -- though cheaper than full suits, if the arms and legs are still exposed, I really don't see much point.

2. Nicholas Harvey

Nicholas Harvey Angel Fish

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Hopefully someone can chime in on whether there's jellies about at that time of year, I've been there around spring time and I don't recall a big issue but I think it's been a little later in April. On the wetsuit front I don't believe you'll need one for warmth unless you'll be in the water a lot, like 4 dives a day, then you'll probably want something. Otherwise it's down to comfort both in terms of temperature and coverage. If you don't tend to get cold in the water again you should be fine, if you feel more relaxed and comfortable in a wetsuit than shorts then it might be worth it on air consumption alone.
    I've used a 1mm or maybe it was 1.5mm full suit before just to have something on for wrecks and night dives, Scubapro have a decent one I used that wasn't expensive.

3. ChuckP

ChuckP Manta Ray

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Depends on you really - water will be 80, air will be high 70's if not 80. If there is jellies which I think it's too early for them, splurg them with your 2nd, you'll be ok.

I dove for weeks there in a 1mm but switched to a 3 for a bit more warmth due to back spasms - but that's every day, twice a day at least diving.

My wife and son will go night and days in a row in only swimsuits though.

4. ggunn

ggunn ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Don't sell them, uh, short. A shorty will do a lot for keeping your core warm. I dive in a skin with a shorty over it and am almost always comfortable diving Cozumel.

couv and Snoweman like this.
  5. Rob9876

Rob9876 Barracuda

I'm certainly not trying to criticize anyone's choices, but personally I don't believe I'd like putting on 2 items (skin and shorty) when I could just wear a 3mm or 3/2 suit. Plus, by the time I did that the cost would probably be the same or higher.

6. Pelagicsal

Pelagicsal Dedicated Dive Bum

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    You’ll be fine with the 5mm, I’m sure.

FreeFlyFreak and ibj40 like this.
  7. MMM

MMM Giant Squid Staff Member

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    I'd bring your 5 mm suits. I wear a 7 mm but I do longish dives, I get cold and I am getting old.

8. Pat.D

Pat.D Angel Fish

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    I just dived Cozumel a few days ago and was very comfortable in my 3/2mm. Water temp was 82F at the surface and 81 at 75ft.

Of course your mileage may vary depending on your metabolism.

Pat

delacrue96 and Divingblueberry like this.
  9. gcawad

gcawad Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I always use my 5mm in Cozumel. Will be there March 2-13. Don’t like being cold

ibj40 and Steelyeyes like this.
  10. Snoweman

Snoweman Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Whatever you decide, get out of the suit or rash guard as soon as you're done with the night dive. Dry off and put on a dry sweatshirt or long sleeve shirt.

I saw a young couple huddled together at the bottom of the boat with their wetsuits on, trying to keep warm. This was in February. I had dried off and was enjoying the night air.