wetsuit info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rtapia

Reaction score
OK, I know this is probably a topic that has been discussed at lenght here bfore, but here it goes. I am a brand new diver looking for advice on what type of wetsuit to buy. I think that most of my diving will take place around IN,KY,OH,MI form late spring to late summer, with 1 or 2 trips (hopefully) to warm places (FLA, etc) as well. The guy at the LDS basically told me I wanted to buy a 7mm suit (but man, was it thick and somewhat cumbersome). I dont get too cold that easely, i hardly ever wear a winter coat (I live in IN), but do't want to freeze while diving either, nor do I want to spend the $380 or so they want for the 7mm suit...What do you all recommend. I understand that everybody has a different tolerance for cold, but I am sure there are certain basic or general recommendations, are there not?
HELP!

It depends on when you want to dive.

I am going to Blue Springs this weekend and I read on the board from Hoosierdiver that the temp was 44 degrees last weekend so a 7mm it is. In the summer I usually dive a 3mm but I know alot of divers that won't dive locally without a 5mm or more, even in the summer, because below the thermocline in the springs around here you are looking at 60 to 70 degrees in the summer. Remember that in the water it feels alot colder than in the the air because the water pulls heat away from your body quicker.

If you don't usually get cold easily you would probably be ok with a 3mm, hood, and gloves. You can always get and wear a shorty with it to increase the thickness when needed but this will limit your dive season somewhat.

It just depends on what you want to be able to do. In the end if you are diving locally you will probably end up with several suits so that you can layer them or wear a thicker one in the spring and fall.

If you are going to dive year round you are going to buy a dry suit. Maybe not now...maybe not next year...but you will eventually get one.

Hope this helps

Chad

Any chance you could borrow some different thickness wetsuits and try them out in the most rigorous conditions you would encounter. It would be a pity to buy, say, a 3mm and then to find you did need a 7mm.

You might also look at 2 piece suits. Some manufacturers offer, say, a 5mm full wetsuit with a 5mm shorty and hood. If the water's cold you wear both but the full wetsuit on its own will be fine for all warm water diving.

Remember that you will never overheat in the open water. It will always be cooler than your body heat and you will always lose heat even when the water is 27/28c. The only issue is how quickly you lose it. If you have not got adequate thermal protection you will get too cold towards the end of a dive and your judgement may suffer.

A thick suit is more cumbersome but mainly when you're still on dry land. In the water there isn't much difference. I agree that if you're diving somewhere warm a thick wetsuit will have you sweating buckets while you wait to get in the water.

However, better to be too warm on land than too cold in the water.

As the Welshman says, try renting or borrowing suits of various styles. But make sure the fit properly or you won't be giving the suit a fair test.

Water does conduct heat away from the body a lot quicker then air (quick test - anyone remember how fast?) So you may be surprised what you may need to stay warm (at least comfortable) and dive.

If you truely do not get cold, getting a suit of an appropriate thickness that is a two-piece (farmer john's and a jacket) may be the way to go. That way you can layer as required.

DivingGal

Is it 25 times faster? recall reading that statistic somewhere.

Originally posted by Welshman
DivingGal

Is it 25 times faster? recall reading that statistic somewhere.

According to my notes (and the instructor manual), water conducts heat away from the body 20 times faster thatn air.

Now if it would only do that to the fat cells.... sigh.

Personally, I would say a 5mm is about ideal. I have dove it in 58degree water, and in 72 degree water. I have never been overly warm, however, I have gotten chilled. For colder water, you can add a 3mm vest/hood combo. That way you have 8mm of protection over your core, and that is where it matters. The 5mm suit also allows you ease of movement that you will lose if you go to a 7mm suit. Layering is the key to having both warmth and movement. If you are diving a 5mm and get too warm, simply pull open the neck or wrist seal and allow some cooler water in. If your 5mm is not enough for the dive, add the vest and hood combo.

I have been wearing the new Henderson Hyperstretch (I should get commissions form them for how much I rave about this product). It comes in 3 thicknesses, including 7mm. Just ask to try one on. Then try anything else. I used to wear a titanium-lined farmer jane & jacket. Not bad, but I LOVE my new suit!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom