Whale Tales - Rocky Point

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AZTinman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We've been hearing reports about lots of whales off Rocky Point in the Northern Sea of Cortez so we decided to check it out for ourselves. Frankly, I wasn't sure I believed what we were hearing. A couple of quick calls to a condo guy we know there got us fixed-up with a place to stay and a contact number for an operator who's been running whale tours this winter.

The tour operator told me they really hadn't paid much attention to whales until a few years ago when they began to notice that numbers of whales seemed to be increasing. They now have good numbers of fin whales and humpbacks in the area from January through March.

My preference was to try for some underwater photos, but we had no luck with whales approaching the boat to check us out. The Mexican government has rules about how close boats can get in pursuit, but operators aren't really expected to run away if whales choose to make close passes on their own.

The Humpy's weren't in to mood to do any breaching this time around, but we did get some good surface shots. Here are a couple:

DSC_1443.jpg

DSC_1320.jpg

We'll have more photos posted on the www.cortezbluephotography.com website as time allows for editing.

-AZTinman
Corte Blue Photography

We recently updated the www.cortezbluephotography.com website with a 'whales' folder in the portfolio. The blog has also been updated as well with an entry about our recent whale watching trip to Rocky Point.

-AZTinman

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom