Whalesharks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That'll be a good trip, and I'll sell the rights to buy life insurance on me.

My friend who lived in Maui told me he saw one on some wall dive, not sure which one, which spot. Might be the same place you're talking about.

Coral bay 2 years ago. The ningaloo reef has "visits" on most days.
whaleshark%20at%20boat.jpg

One about 6 metres in size went right over my head just a few months ago!

This was in the Maldives. At a dive site off of the capital island.

According to the dive master, we got lucky, cause in about 2000 dives, she had never seen one in the area.

newK.

Sorry to pull out an old thread but just came across this while going though the forums for info on whale shark diving hotspots. As a Sri Lankan and a marine biologist I need to clarify some serious errors in some earlier posts.

Scuba Jim claims that whale sharks would soon be extinct in the Indian Ocean due to the commercial fishing in Sri Lanka with nearly 700 killed in one year. I am not sure where this information was obtained from but please note the following facts:

1. There is NO commercial fishing for whale sharks in Sri Lanka. There is a major shark fishery but it does not target whale sharks. And even this has grown due to the export demand for shark fins in other parts of the world. Its not just the fishing but the buyers as well who are to blame. We also have a problem with dynamite use and serious overfishing but again, NO whale sharks. Accidental capture may occur through entanglement, and whale sharks have been recorded in fish landings but this is not common. If 700 whale sharks were taken that would constitute most of the shark landings in the country which is not the case. I also actually know of fishermen who worked to release a whale shark caught in a net.

2. Sri Lanka is not a whale shark hotspot and it would be difficult to imagine 700 sharks being taken in an year even if there was a fishery. If we had so many SL would have been more famous than Ningaloo Reef. Imagine what it would have been like before commercial fishing if we still can take 700? Whale sharks do migrate past SL though and are seen off the west coast, mainly in March and April when we have upwellings prior to the onset of the southwest monsoon.

3. I have spoken with researchers, divers and fishermen who have seen whale sharks in Sri Lanka. Those that have been on or in the water for 30 years or more dont recall any major declines. They do note a major decline in reef sharks and other big fish and this is very likely due to the fishery. Like in many other places whale sharks are high on the list of animals divers want to see in SL.

4. The FAO does not list SL as a major whale shark fishing nation. A fishery existed in India but is on the decline as it has been banned. There is also a traditional fishery in Bohol, Philippines. There was a small fishery in the Maldives but this has been stopped and whale sharks are now protected there.

I hope this clears up some wrong information. Again, sorry to wake up an old thread and no malice intended towards anyone including Scuba Jim. I just had to point this out. As a Sri Lankan I know we have a lot of problems with our fisheries. I have been working in reef management and fisheries for several years and also dive extensively so I have seen things get worse in the last decade. But whale sharks are not on the target list............at least so far!

Best regards,

Nishan

Back to the original topic:

We swam with a 26' whale shark last summer at Kona. We were diving with Jack's Diving Locker. Here's a photo, as the shark was departing. That's me in the stylish red Atomic splits:

http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/94400/cat/500/ppuser/69614

I was at about 15' feet as the shark pulled away. I never got closer than about 15', but one of the divemaster had the shark swim directly under him, so we got a good size comparison on video.

I've snorkeled with whale sharks in the Sea of Cortez. The dive opps in La Paz run whale shark trips, an ultralight plane spots the fish and the boat drops you off in their path. You are close enough to touch them, but touching is not allowed. We swam with several in the 10 - 25 foot size range. Definitely a highlight of the trip. Here is a trip report:http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/mexico/208463-la-paz-report.html

The tourist trade developed quickly with media and government efforts int the Philppines. Whaleshark hunting has been replaced by Whaleshark spotting and tourism. Google "Donsol" and you will see so much information on what is potentially the greatest chance of seeing a whaleshark on a given day.

No scuba, just freediving and snorkeling. Most people report seeing and swimming with six or seven whalesharks at a time. This is a typical trip during the season. Season is from february to June.

Sorry to pull out an old thread but just came across this while going though the forums for info on whale shark diving hotspots.

Hi Nishan!

Welcome to :sblogo:! I'm glad you posted to this thread, even though its a bit old.. it clears up some misconceptions which readers may have had from reading this previously or going forward and finding it in the archives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom