Whalesharks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Again, sorry if I sounded too strong on my last post.

As for whale shark experiences the only one I have seen was on a dive off Colombo, Sri Lanka, in 1999. We were ascending after a dive when it went right above us and then swam around us for about 10 minutes. The shark was about 25ft or so so not the biggest. Friends of mine have seen them in Hikkaduwa and Bentota in SL and fishermen I know see them right off Colombo. But its a bit hit and miss here.

Have not seen another since. Was at Richeliu and Similans in Thailand and also in the Maldive, both known for whale sharks, but with no luck. Planning a trip to the Maldives next April to look for them. Even if we dont see them its always a nice place to dive in. Maybe try the Philippines sometime then :)

Thanks Nishan for clearing this up very comprehsensively.

I would like to request ScubaJim to provide facts if such large scale slaughter of Whale Sharks are going on in Sri Lanka.

I have done hundreds of dives all along the coast of Sri Lanka, talked with Fishermen, marine biologists and never seen whale shark carcasses in fishing villages or had anyone talkabout hunting whalesharks. In fact, I am yet to see a Whale Shark in Sri Lanka dead or alive!

So I am quite mystified as to how 700 whale sharks are supposed to be hunted in Sri Lanka annually!

Dharshana
Dive Sri Lanka! - Find out everything about SCUBA diving in paradise!

FWIW this thread was from 2002 and some of the original posters may not be around anymore :wink:

On topic - we have whale sharks here on the Ningaloo Reef from late March through July every year. Love 'em!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom