Suggestion What about...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
The Chairman

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
moderators?

clubs?

forums?

What do you have to say about the rest? the bannings thread is starting to slow down a tad.

Along those lines Pete, why don't you draft some more mods? I'd say 40 is a good number to end up with. Why not dump about 10 of your current ones, draft up 30 new ones and you're in business. Surely you've considered this?

WW

I understand what you're saying Pete, but let me give you an example.

Some time ago, before you took over, SOMEONE yanked a post of mine. This was back when KN/LD were "a going concern" in terms of actually being accessible and around.

The pulled post appeared to be a purely malicious act on the part of the moderator who did it - I had a real good idea who, but no way to verify it, and no way to know why. There was no PM sent to me notifying me that it was gone - it just went "poof."

I queried as to what had happened and why to KN, asking specifically for the identity of the mod who had done the deed, and was basically told to go stuff.

I understand that if you yank a thread and remove 20 posts from it you can't deal with 20 requests for adjudication and review. That would clearly be unreasonable.

I guess the bottom line is that the moderator's deliberations are to remain a "secret", even from the person(s) directly affected. I find that unreasonable, but that's me. IMHO, as I said before, if you're debating something that I did, I think I have a right to be a part of that debate as an observer, know who's making the accusation(s) and the outcome of the vote, and offer a rebuttal.

Second, a process which allows "X" votes to convict where a "no" carries no weight is inherently unfair, especially if a minority of the moderators meet the quorum. What you effectively end up with is "special interest" groups that can do what they want; they are, for all intents and purposes, unstoppable. This bothers me just from a process perspective.

I went to a private high school many moons ago. We had a disciplinary committee made up of faculty, staff and students for "serious incidents"; the consequence of being referred to it could (and often did) include expulsion.

While their decision was not subject to appeal (who would you appeal TO - the headmaster was an integral part of this and he was the "final word") the committee NEVER met to take action with regards to someone's situation without them being able to hear the claimed allegations and evidence against them and to offer rebuttal, including, if necesasry, calling witnesses on their behalf.

Never.

Yeah, I know, that was a "more serious" situation. But in many ways it has an analog here. You were there in a private place, at their pleasure. If you broke the rules, you could be kicked out, and many people were. There were certainly allegations of favoritism and other malfeasance inside the committee while I was there, but this much I can say with certainty - if you got called before them, you heard their evidence and you had the chance to defend yourself before any action was taken.

You might lose your case (a lot of people did!), but you had a right to be heard, and you knew who voted for what.

This may be a completely unrealistic expectation - but you can't get what 'ya don't ask for! :D

I guess I separate out the pulling of posts from bans. For posts, heh, you get poofed, you get poofed. But bans are more serious in nature, in that they result in people losing contact with those who they have an affiliation with here; its not just a ban on POSTING, its a ban that cuts people off from contacts they have. That's pretty serious in my mind, and should come with some respect for due process.

If a "ban" simply locked posting to public forums (e.g. your PM abilities were left alone, and you could READ) it'd be less of an issue from my point of view.

Perhaps that's a "happy medium", along with making permanent bans quite difficult to impose.....

Actually Karl,

we have already changed the process to read "8 mods or a 2/3s majority of those voting which ever is more."

Ok, then that does, to a large degree, protect against such things.

Thanks - that helps.

NetDoc:
The proof is in the pudding… at 20,000 registered users and growing quite rapidly, we must be doing something “right”.
And looks like you're trying to make it even better :D
NetDoc:
How are mods made?
I think you answered this somewhere, but WW's suggestion of booting 10 and recruiting 30 more seems like it would make for a whole lot of work for the remaining 10 :icosm13:
NetDoc:
What would you expect from a mod?
Knows the TOS and is unbiased with enforcement when necessary. Keeps the board more friendly for the rest of us :wink:
NetDoc:
"Should mods be allowed to have opinions?"
Of course they should - they should be allowed to express them, too! Several of those mods have some pretty good stuff to share - it would be a bummer if they couldn't do that.

As for banishments - when people don't play by the rules, I suppose it sometimes gets to the point where they need to be booted. Permanent or temporary? Well, there are some things we do in life which are unforgivable, but being a jerk on an internet board isn't necessarily one of them. If someone who's been banned says they're sorry and promises to play nice, a second chance could maybe be considered? Again, that would most likely depend on the offense, though.

NetDoc:
Here is the problem. We have 20,000 members and 20 moderators... do the math.
That looks intimidating but how many actually participate? Like most public forums there are many that sign up and never come back.

The majority of the posts are done by a select few, these few are the ones that invoke thought, challenge ideas, investigate possibilities and defend their positions. These are the posters that keep SB alive. With out the them SB would not exist, if it did it would be pretty boring at best. The down side is that this type of person is typically a passionite person and will sometimes get out of contol which needs to be curbed, but banned..........sorry thats the wrong way to go about this. It's only a matter of time before that becomes a way of doing business and all the passionite people will be gone..........or afraid to post and express their positions for fear of being banned.

I would like to suggest that moderators shouldn't be allowed to yank a thread without a PM being sent to the thread author.

Netdoc - I've asked multiple times now, and I haven't received an answer to the question - What was in my two original threads that violated the TOS? The answer, of course, is nothing, but you can't admit that now because it would be embarassing to you or the moderators. Yet, after my second thread was pulled, Aquabella started a third within less than a minute (the "Wow" Thread) and it remains here today. Why? Because to yank THAT one would have been REALLY embarassing.

If I had received a polite PM after my FIRST thread was yanked on these topics, you wouldn't be in this position today, would you? So what was in the first two threads, Pete?

Boogie711:
I haven't received an answer to the question - What was in my two original threads that violated the TOS? The answer, of course, is nothing, but you can't admit that now because it would be embarassing to you or the moderators.

" The moderators have the last word in any dispute and are responsible for interpreting the TOS. At their discretion, when they deem it in the best interest of Scubaboard, they may edit or delete posts and threads, and ban users. The creation of multiple accounts ("sock puppets") for one person is prohibited. Membership is a privilege, not a right. We reserve the right to deny service to any person at any time with or without cause or notification. "

Fair enough Jeff. So what did they 'interpret' in my thread that was a violation of the TOS?

For reference sake, the first thread was something like "Has anyone seen Cobaltbabe in a while? I tried to PM her and it bounced back to me."

Pretty tough to interpret any violation there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom