What actor justin theroux’s near dive fatality can teach us

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nowadays always blame someone else for your problems. My first dive was in 20 ft of water by myself (precert days) off Palos Verdes Ca in 1964 with a double hose reg and J valve tank so i didn't even have a gauge to look at but before doing this I had read up on what I was doing and the dangers involved and I sure as hell wasn't doing a 60 min dive where i could risk running out of air. I can't believe this guy didn't know how to read a pressure gauge and allow himself to get into this predicament. Rule #1 is don't put your trust or rely on anyone to bail you out. "A man/woman has got to know theirs limits".......

Oh the irony to marry Jennifer Anniston, then die on the honeymoon...... :wink:

Glad he is ok.

Just curious...how can a statement be made that its a clear violation of standards when AFAIK no one has mentioned the dive op name (although I suspect I know which one it is) and whether it is a CMAS or PADI operation.

I suspect his "A" lister status had something to do with the bending of any rules and protocols that might have been bent...just a little?
Does anybody else think that the divemaster might have been thinking he was doing him a favor by giving him a little red carpet treatment by taking him a little further than he really should have been going?

You'd hope theyve mistaken "divemaster" for "instructor" as well otherwise theres been a major standards breach for dive number 1 assuming it wasnt confined to a pool.

In the popular media, all cylinders are "oxygen tanks" and all people leading dives are "divemasters."

Fail to plan...... Plan to fail. I agree he was probably given special treatment because of who he is.
DM not checking psi.......Fail
Diving WAY beyond limits......Fail
Married to Jennifer Aniston........ Prefect plan[emoji322]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Watch the video, the guys an idiot. He boasts about throwing his gear down, wanted to kill the 'jerk' all good television, he has a good story to tell now at parties...

Loved how Kelly Ripa's comments were all about how gross and she would have rather drowned than taken the regulator from the dive masters mouth..

... "very deep dive"... "earth" was only 40 feet up... was it a deep dive or only a 40 foot dive?

Who cares about this guy or his horrible experience? Stupid is as stupid does... he has a good story to tell now...

I suspect his "A" lister status had something to do with the bending of any rules and protocols that might have been bent...just a little?
Does anybody else think that the divemaster might have been thinking he was doing him a favor by giving him a little red carpet treatment by taking him a little further than he really should have been going?

Watch the video, the guys an idiot. He boasts about throwing his gear down, wanted to kill the 'jerk' all good television, he has a good story to tell now at parties...

Loved how Kelly Ripa's comments were all about how gross and she would have rather drowned than taken the regulator from the dive masters mouth..

... "very deep dive"... "earth" was only 40 feet up... was it a deep dive or only a 40 foot dive?

Who cares about this guy or his horrible experience? Stupid is as stupid does... he has a good story to tell now...

I share a combination of both of your thoughts.

Obviously, he should not have been allowed to do that dive, but given his terrible understanding of scuba diving evident from the terminology he used to describe equipment, etc. you wonder if he didn't take the discover scuba class and then told the second operator he was "certified". He claimed he told the operator he had only dived once yesterday, but given the communication barrier that may have been interpreted as he had experience, for instance, "Yeah dude, I just did a dive yesterday." We only have one side of the story.

Regardless, The most glaring thing that stands out to me where you have to question someone's intelligence or common sense is when he stated he used a tank that a previous diver just used before him. :shocked2: Certainly if that were the case it's an obvious mistake by the operator, but holy **** dude! Did you not realize tanks only hold so much air? Did it not cross your mind the tank could be empty? You apparently know how to read an SPG, so did you not think for a second that perhaps I should have a look at how much air is in this tank because I know it was just used by another diver and I need air to breath underwater? :bonk:

Certified or not, you would think any person with any sense would question if the tank had air or not.

And I'll call out the obvious for any non diver lurking. No dude, the "earth" is not right there... You never left it. What IS right there is 40 feet of water that puts you at risk of embolising. You're not getting bent from 40 feet on a short dive. He gave you his octo so you wouldn't kill yourself. I will give him credit for not shooting to the surface though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom