What are the accessories that you will always dive with, and why ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don’t think we should dive with *accessories* so much as tools.

In my mind an accessory is an option, a tool is necessary to perform a task or role.

I don’t dive with things I don’t “need”. Except for a camera strapped on to the side of a Goodman handle, and even then, it takes up no space or additional gear. It is apart of the gear that I *need*.

Try not to bring things with you which you do not need.

When I dive I leave a laminated card in the windshield of my truck that I says if not occupied by xxxx time on xxxx date please call... With a number to a family member who knows my dive plan. I dive a lot solo. That is my one must have item. It's my only real assurance that should something happen, hopefully someone would make a call. Which would start a chain reaction to find me.

To me that card means more than a cutting device or smb. Although I do carry those every dive. But if I got to the dive site and forgot a cutting device I would still dive. Not so without the card in my truck window.

I don’t think we should dive with *accessories* so much as tools.

Let me guess: GUE trained ? :)

EDIT: Actually, I intend to sign up to a GUE Fundamentals course next year.

That's a very, very costly piece of flat sheetmetal.

:D But you get a piece of fabric worth ten quid absolutely free. Hurry, this amazing offer can't possibly last.

I always have a knife, a line cutter, and a pair of trauma shears. Because they're on my gear, and why take them off?
I always take at least one light. More, if we're planning to do anything more than a short swimthough.
A DSMB, spool, mirror, whistle... because duh.

Tier One: (Could not imagine not carrying)
- Cutters x2 - ceramic and shears, because I'll drop one

Tier Two: (Might not carry in very controlled circumstances, like a pool...)
- Slate - Language is a great thing, as are notes to self
- Light x2 - Lights up under kelp, soft mount, and clipped backup
- DSMB - I'm floating away, over here...., just 3'
- Spool - DSMB, line is always useful
- Mirror - back of computer, small
- Whistle - inflator hose, small
- Compass - Which way?? on wrist/hand
- Extra double ender - sort of like duck tape

For me the learning curve was vertical.
That is what it appears to me from an outside point of view also. I have consulted their books and watched their videos. Intend to practice A LOT before I set foot into that course.

Back
Top Bottom