What are the accessories that you will always dive with, and why ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I dive I leave a laminated card in the windshield of my truck that I says if not occupied by xxxx time on xxxx date please call... With a number to a family member who knows my dive plan. I dive a lot solo. That is my one must have item. It's my only real assurance that should something happen, hopefully someone would make a call. Which would start a chain reaction to find me.

To me that card means more than a cutting device or smb. Although I do carry those every dive. But if I got to the dive site and forgot a cutting device I would still dive. Not so without the card in my truck window.
That could also be an invitation to thieves knowing you won't be back very soon.

EMT type trauma shears.

Never banned on knife free dives.

Cheap - I don't care if I drop and lose it.

Cuts easily and quickly through fishing line, thin rope and metal wire, BCD harnesses, weight belts and all types of exposure suits.

If desperate, can be used to tighten hose connections and open and close battery hatches on dive computers. Also can be used as a screwdriver, but tends to mess up the screw heads.

You can’t really prepare for it. Just do it and enjoy it. People think it’s some special course. It’s not.

This advice sounds to my ears like some kind of Zen Koan. :D
I don't perceive that I am completely wasting my time by watching their videos on SMB deployment, the 5 Basic Skills, The S-Drill, etc.
And they DO require a very specific list of equipment and tools: I doubt very much I could just waltz in there with an Octopus and a Jacket BCD.
Practicing trim and buoyancy with a backplate/wing seems also like a good plan, at least from my novice/beginner point of view ...
I would be very grateful if you would care to elaborate a bit more on the type of preparation that hopefully could be done, and the type of preparation that should not be done, or cannot be done. :)

I belong to the school of thought that doesn't bring anything not part of the dive plan - and safety equipment is definitely part of the dive plan even though I very much hope not to use it. I probably still take things I don't need, but I try not to.

On a typical Lake Erie wreck dive I carry:

Line cutter (on right shoulder strap), dir knife (left waistbelt), whistle (left shoulder D-ring), backup doublender (right shoulder D-ring), light (primay or backup depending on conditions, mounted right D-ring), glotube (better than a dive light for seeing your own DC/spg, mounted left shoulder D-ring to be closer to DC/spg);
Wrist Slate (left forearm), DC (left wrist), watch (right wrist), Compass (right forearm);

Example specific add-ons:
DSMB w/ spool (right wetsuit pocket)
Pony Bottle (slung left side)

Further accessories would only be added if part of the dive plan (including safety contingencies). Reels, spools, camera, additional slates, signal mirror, buddy line, EMT shears, PLB, lift bag, second DSMB, etc.

Knife because it lives on my harness and holds the long hose in place at my waist. DSMB because you never know when you will need it. Two lights at night (usually strobe focus light and something else). Shears if fishing line is likely. Reef hook if current is likely. An old hard drive platter (mirror) if there is a possibility of drifting in open water. Nothing else.

small knife
for entaglement, or tank banger

dsmb with spool
signaling, marking locations that i want to triangulate at surface, reference for deco/safety stops when no other reference available.

roll up snorkel
hate snorkels on my head but like them on occasion for surface stuff.

wrist slate
recording times as backup to computer, writing coordinates, comunicating when sign language isnt working

compass
I like to have a clue

and my gopro.
small and attached to right hip with a boltsnap so it is out of the way but easy to grab for those awesome moments

14 years, has never been an issue. Valid point. Guess I'm just on borrowed time...
There have been several vehicles broken into at the Monterey California Breakwater lately. It happened a lot a few years ago as well. When I make a shore dive I always try to be as invisible as possible, including not having any dive stickers on my vehicle.

Compass on a small slate
SMB
Line cutter, shears
BFK - I've been wearing it for decades
Yellow mesh bag - For trash and treasures
Whistle - haven't cut it off yet, the one time I needed it, it didn't catch anyone's attention but my yell did.

Dependant on conditions

DSMB and spool instead of SMB
Light(s)

Everything else is dive specific.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom