What are these guys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dwatts

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Last week I was diving with Kevin in Boynton beach and I saw this couple on the bottom. What are they?

Fish55.jpg

Agree with Richard. Good catch! Don't believe I've ever seen two side by side that way. Where was this taken?

Concur. And to be more specific, they look like Sand Divers, Synodus intermedius.

I've seen quite a few in Bonaire, and on occasion have seen a pair like that. Most of the time I see them solitary.

Richard.

Lizard Fish. Synodus saurus. Common in NJ during the summer, in shallow water all down the East Coast, all over the Caribbean, and further south.

LOL "you say potaytoe, i say potahtoe" one says "intermedius" the other says "saurus" lizard fish sand diver all the same to me. "Let's call the whole thing off"

There are several common "lizard fish". Based upon the dark spot on the upper end of the gill cover, these appear to be the Sand Diver synodus intermedius.

The bluestripe lizardfish synodus Saurus is very similar but does not have the dark spot and these do not appear to have the blue stripe down the upper body.

It's common in the afternoons to see two or even three lizardfishes together.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom