What are typical Tec diving equipment costs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

engdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am interested in developing into the Tec diving area form where I am now. (AOW,Rescue,EANx,Drysuit). I have an idea on costs for training but not so much for equipment. Currently I dive a drysuit with a Zeagle ranger and typical recreational diving gear. I am interested in Wreck diving in the Great Lakes. Any info would be appreciated.

Sky is the limit. I'd say plan on $10k and work up. I've spent half that and don't have a drysuit or my steel doubles yet. Got about 3 more classes to go about about $800-1000 a pop too. A scooter is looking tempting too!

It's not cheap.

Well, so far, I've spent $650 on a set of used regs, another $270 or so getting them serviced, and $480 on a set of small doubles and a doubles wing. It would have been about twice that if I had bought new, and the doubles I bought are 72s and good for training and my normal diving, but likely wouldn't suffice for decompression even for me. And it seems pretty clear that, if I were doing a lot of doubles diving, I'd want at least two sets, because you can't easily walk in and just ask somebody to fill your doubles while you wait -- and if you're sometimes doing mix dives and sometimes not, you don't want to use expensive gas on shallower dives. And then there are deco bottles and their regs . . . It's clear the costs just escalate as you go on.

There was a thread a while back on "What does it cost to do a 300 foot dive?" that you might find illuminating.

You will deffinately need to save your pennies, or else get the plastic out and make Visa happy.

Double steel tanks about $350 x 2 = $700
Manifold for tanks = $300
high quality reg set = $600 x 2 = $1200 (and you probably will need more than 2 sets)
Deco bottles = $150 x 2 = $300 (then you need 2 more regs, so add another $1200)
want a computer, about another $1000
Adv nitrox and deco classes = $800
trimix classes = ???? (I'll estimate another $1500 for begin & adv classes)
canister HID = $1500
BP/W = $500

total = $9000
All prices are rough estimates, becuase you can spend as much or little as you want for gear. I'd suggest NOT trying to do this 'on the cheap' though.

Cost of tech diving?

Marriage

Family

Work

Retirement fund

(Kidding!! :D)

I'm in for around $20,000 right now.

Yea, but you're rich. You even gave your mouse an AK47 and filmed it for your avatar!

Thanks everyone. I now know how much to start saving up for. Kids college or dive gear? Hmmm..

Don't feel bad, I'd be scratching my head for a while too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom