What are typical Tec diving equipment costs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

*Floater*:
Your numbers seem a little high to me.

Well, my numbers have come mostly from the MSRP pricing at the LDS, so I'm sure they could cost less after some comparison shopping or even asking him for a discount.

I know the regs I want (SP mk25/S600) are pricy, but I've kinda grown fond of them and I know they are more than capable of handling the diving I want to do.

I know that a bottom timer is cheaper. As a matter of fact, add that cost into the total too. I like to have a computer, and a back-up to it (the timer), and a back-up to that (dive watch). All of which are backing up your tables.

I also know what HID's cost. I have read reports from quite a few who use them. Almost all of them wish they had the next better model. Better to buy one GREAT light, than to buy 3 fair to good lights in the process. Also add in at least 1 spare light bulb in case of a failure, and there's a couple hundred more.

By Jan next year, I should finally be in a financial position to began aquiring items one (or maybe two) at a time and taking the classes I want. My problem now will be finding the time to take classes and to get in the water and train.

The big problems: lots of free time = no money to enjoy it; lots of money = lots of time earning it, little time to enjoy it. :shakehead

FD

Curt Bowen:
I have 3 rebreathers, dont know why, can only dive one at a time

I'd actually like to talk to you about that sometime...

Curt Bowen:
I have 3 rebreathers, dont know why, can only dive one at a time

Yeah Curt. You're right. Maybe I should sell one of mine. Oh, did that so I could buy another. :shakehead

But speaking of Curt, if you go tech, just think how much more you have to pay for crush proof cameras and such. Case for my canon - $250 for 130 feet. You want 400 feet? Now you're looking at $2000+. Not saying it's not worth it but depth seems to be exponential on the cost of dive gear. Just look at the cost of that 2 person sub. :11:

That is really a very tricky question to answer....SO many variables as we have read. But it is not cheap as I have found out. I have 'sunk' as much in tec gear and training as I probably have in my sweet 1972 Chevy Chevelle. :)

When I'm bored, and dreaming about winning the lottery, I go on dive rite express and put all thes items in my cart.....

So according to them:
Worthington 120 doubles set,
2 AL40's,
VR3 computer,
drysuit,
10w can light,
4 complete regs,
harness, backplate and wing,
PLUS reels, misc hardware, thermals, etc....

$7700

Tienuts:
When I'm bored, and dreaming about winning the lottery, I go on dive rite express and put all thes items in my cart.....

So according to them:
Worthington 120 doubles set,
2 AL40's,
VR3 computer,
drysuit,
10w can light,
4 complete regs,
harness, backplate and wing,
PLUS reels, misc hardware, thermals, etc....

$7700
Then you will sell the 10W hid and buy a 21. Dump the VR3 and buy a bottom timer. Buy a scooter. Buy another set of doubles...it goes on and on and on.

As you're doing this, the employees at DiveRiteExpress probably get really excited...
"Hey, check out this guy, he's about to make a huge purcha...wait, he left."

engdiver:
I am interested in developing into the Tec diving area form where I am now. (AOW,Rescue,EANx,Drysuit). I have an idea on costs for training but not so much for equipment. Currently I dive a drysuit with a Zeagle ranger and typical recreational diving gear. I am interested in Wreck diving in the Great Lakes. Any info would be appreciated.
Depends on what your definition of "tech diving" is. It could range from $500 to what some of the other guys said.

best plan - hook up with friends on the tech path further along than you are. then, when they upgrade something, you can snag the 'old' version for cheap! (love ya, jason! :wink: )

webhead:
Yeah Curt. You're right. Maybe I should sell one of mine. Oh, did that so I could buy another. :shakehead

But speaking of Curt, if you go tech, just think how much more you have to pay for crush proof cameras and such. Case for my canon - $250 for 130 feet. You want 400 feet? Now you're looking at $2000+. Not saying it's not worth it but depth seems to be exponential on the cost of dive gear. Just look at the cost of that 2 person sub. :11:

Yes, I had a special back plate made for my D100 Aquatica housing to increase the depth rating from 330 feet to over 500 feet.

The next problem is that most underwater strobes will implode around 380 feet, so then you have to go with the newer 100+ watt HID lighting systems.

Dont worry you will only need 2 or 3 of these at $2000.00+ each :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom