What are typical Tec diving equipment costs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just picked up a Dive Rite older wreck canister light system,,,great condition and works great:50watt,,metal Goodman handle,,spare o-ring and bulb,,battery charger....all for under $200. :)

swankenstein:
Depends on what your definition of "tech diving" is. It could range from $500 to what some of the other guys said.

Good question. I would say anything over 130 fsw and/or overhead enviroment.

Beyond that I have no idea how to define it. Is there a jump in gear and training beyond some point like 200 fsw? 300 fsw?

For me getting into the 130-200 fsw range would be my first goal. Even more likely what wrecks I might want to dive on depending on the depth.

As far as costs I am sure it multiplies with depth. Sorta like going from a 120 MPH car to a 200 MPH car. Everything suddenly becomes a much higher end and more expensive item.

Costs as a hobby are really not that bad compared to things like flying, re-building cars, racing. If only I could convince my wife how cheap it really is compared to.....

Here is my running cost so far and I'm just beginning really:

Backplate w/ webbing and hardware: $90 - Found a good deal, expect to pay around $120
Oxycheq #50 Stanard wing: $280
O2 Analyzer: $100 - I bought the Oxycheq El Cheapo since I'm decent with a soldering iron.
2 x salvo 1st stages: $300
brass spg: $85
2 x scubapro GH250HP 2nd stages: $200 - found a good deal. Expect to pay more.
2 x used aluminum 80 tanks: $150
isolated manifold: $185
tank bands: $105
new aluminum tank: $150
300 bar DIN valve: $56
O2 cleaning on tank and valve: $50
1 x Aries unbalanced piston regulator w/ DIN valve and O2 clean: $320
new mobbys armor shell drysuit: $600 - I got the suit at cost from a LDS because of some of the work I do for them. Expect to pay $1200+ on a good drysuit.
sending the suit off to have DUI turbo soles put on it + drygloves: $400
drysuit underwear (the gander mountain special. :wink:): $60
X-shorts: $20 - good deal on ebay. :)
aladin tec wrist: $425 - yikes! Bought it before scubapro released it.
wet notes: $30
delrin spool: $15
smb: $30
x-large jet fins: $65
dryhood: $40
DIR Hose kit: $90
misc hardware(bolt snaps, line, etc): $50

TDI Decompression Procedures and Advanced Nitrox: $700
DIR Fundies soon: $300 - 450

Grand Total: I'm to lazy to add it all up. I'm guessing it's around $5000. Thanks now I'm going to be sick. I really looks expensive once you put everything together. :p. It's not as bad when you buy an item here and an item there.

Did I forget anything? Probably. I haven't bought a canister light or backup lights yet. That will be another $1200 - $1500.
I'm going to want another set of doubles soon and probably another tank as a stage so add in a good: $1500 for all that easily.

From here on out I'll probaly take GUE courses such as cave 1 and tech 1 after fundies. Those are expensive classes by them selves.

scooters are expensive too. They cost more than my current car. :wink:

engdiver:
As far as costs I am sure it multiplies with depth. Sorta like going from a 120 MPH car to a 200 MPH car. Everything suddenly becomes a much higher end and more expensive item.

I think thats very true.

You already have the dry suit so to get started you would need a BP/W,a set of doubles , one Al 40 deco tank , 3 regs and a Can light. If you buy carefully you could get this for around $2000. (Used Al 80 doubles are $300-400. There was a guy on TheDecoStop selling used Apeks TX50/DS4's for $220. 10W HID's can be had for around $500)

That setup would be good for doing 130 feet for 25 minutes,or 150 feet for 20 minutes,dives of that nature and would allow you to build up experience gradually.

You would need to do Advanced Nitrox and Deco procedures (around $700).
If you want to go below 100/150/200 feet (depends who you talk to!!!) then you are going to need to do a Trimix course (another $700 +dives+gas)

If you want to dive the Edmund Fitzgerald then you enter another universe.

What works best for a deco tank(s). I have two AL50 tanks now that I dive with as doubles. Could these be used as deco tanks independently?
Similiar question with doubles. What size tanks would be best for diving outside of Trimix? I could use two steel 72's since they appear to be the same diameter as my AL50's and would let me use my existing bands and manifold.

Obviously I have many things to work out here. I appreciate the input from everyone.

engdiver:
What works best for a deco tank(s).
Alum Luxfers. 40's and 80's

engdiver:
Aluminum 50's to big? small?
The 50 is a short stubby thing. Not optimal.

Got it. Easier to handle and more streamlined.

SparticleBrane:
As you're doing this, the employees at DiveRiteExpress probably get really excited...
"Hey, check out this guy, he's about to make a huge purcha...wait, he left."
I know, I always think about that. I also worry when I walk in there to get fills, Mark is going to yell at me "stay the hell off my website."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom