What are typical Tec diving equipment costs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd have to agree, for the most part, with the estimates of others posted so far but don't be discouraged. Start out slow, maybe just a BP&W, you need that to carry the doubles. Then maybe a set of AL doubles and another reg so you'll have a set. You can always dive mixed gear to start. Dive with this gear for awhile until you can afford to add something else like a deco bottle and another reg. I started out this way because I couldn't afford to buy all the gear at once either. I dived the gear recreationally for about a year before I had saved enough money for the first class.

If you know what you want you can find some really good deals on Ebay. I got my AL backplate with harness, new for around $50 and my latest set of new Apex DS4/xtx regs all set up for tech diving with 7 foot hose for $650 for both. I've bought a lot of used gear on Ebay as well. I had one AL tank to start with and bought a second for $50 plus shipping and a set of bands for them for $30. You just need to know exactly what you want and ask questions to make sure it's in good condition.

As many folks have pointed out, you will never have all the gear you want but maybe more then you need. Make a plan and buy quality gear in phases. Training is always a good investment to start with. Many Tech Classes have gear requirements that may point you in the right direction.

Good Luck

There are also deals to be had on just about everything if you're patient enough....

Here's a list of my best finds

Halcyon Explorer BP/W -- $250
Halcyon 10w HID -- $350
Worthington LP85/bands/thermo manifold -- $500
Atomic Z1 x 2 + SPG -- $700
DUI TLS350 -- $900

That's the core of my setup -- most of it was bought used from trusted sources (or at least inspected prior to purchase). It took me well over a year to find all those prices though, and I've had a few good deals along the way go south. The moral of the story? Shop around, but ALWAYS thoroughly inspect and test-dive anything bought used.

Although I bought my doubles sight unseen off the Deco Stop, and my doubles regs sight unseen off e-bay (but from a known seller). I've either been pretty lucky, or you can learn a lot about the people who are selling things if you monitor their on-line history.

I gave up the list out the price at some point. I think I roughly spent about $10K.

Sure, there are many ways to lower down the price, but you have to live on the net to grab a good deal and you have to be handy. Depending on your location, to get a killer deal will be much easier, for example FL, CA, NY, WA, etc.....

Back
Top Bottom