What are you looking for in a dive shop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First and most important, I want free air fills and cheap nitrox fills and I want my HP tanks filled up to 3800 psi. Being able to get fills on the fly and being open on Sunday are important too. If the guys working the shop are friendly and helpful that's even better. If I get my fills from you, I'm also going to buy most of my equipment at your shop too. I want to keep those free fills coming after all.

Second, the prices should be competitive. They don't have to beat the cheapest prices I can find online, but I don't want to feel like I spent a night in jail sleeping next to Bubba when I compare what I spent at your shop to the price at Scubatoys or some other online retailer. Shops have to make a profit, but if I feel that I'm being gouged I'll go elsewhere.

Third, I'd like to see a wide selection of classes and good instructors. Most importantly, the instructors should be friendly. If I can't talk freely with you, then I can't really pick your brain and learn everything you have to teach me.

Second, the prices should be competitive. They don't have to beat the cheapest prices I can find online, but I don't want to feel like I spent a night in jail sleeping next to Bubba when I compare what I spent at your shop to the price at Scubatoys or some other online retailer.

You, my friend, are my new signature line. I just thought you should know. I spit bourbon out reading this :rofl3:

Glad I have some similar dive opinions, thought I'd get flamed. So OP, you have your answers, implement a plan to keep us.

While I am relatively new to diving and have limited experience with my LDS, there are some things I love about it. When I walk in rather than get the very formal "can I help you" which has always made me feel "on the spot" to spit out what I am there for and usually give the "just browsing" answer and walk awkwardly through the shop waiting to be pounced on like a prey, I get the "come in, have a seat, pet the dogs, have a soda and shoot the breeze with us" I then sit around and talk about diving along with life and stuff. With that comfort level I usually end up cruising around the shop, asking questions and opinions about gear and diving in general in a very relaxed atmosphere. I usually walk out of there with some sort of gear and more knowledge!

I am looking for idea's to help my local dive shop in these tough economic times. The owner is a close friend and she looks to me for advice. We plan trips, set up charters, teach many classes, and hold a meeting once a month to bring people in and we speak about a different topic each week. We are also in the process of setting up an online store. One current problem is we have many customers who come in ask many questions and then show up a week later and show us the gear they bought online, per our advice. Its kind of frustrating, so not sure how to prevent this or at least lessen it. So what I am asking is what are you looking for in a dive shop?

Price match online stores plus a small amount (i.e. 10%) for your service. Most reasonable people will prefer to buy locally than online if the difference is small. If your customers are buying online it implies to me that there is a significant price difference and them shopping online is because they don't want to pay such a big difference. Nearly everyone I know does not shop on price alone but service to me is really only worth 10% extra approx on top of online prices.

List all of your prices online on your online store. None of that 'call us for prices' guff. I hate calling for quotes as I often get different prices than what other people get.

Have diving more often than once a month. The club I am in has people out diving most weeks. Keep following up with new students and make them feel welcome to come diving with you. This helps people get confidence early on.

Have a website with lots of local resources such as tips to pick sites based on weather, site descriptions (incl local area information - me and a buddy have put together really detailed guides and include facilities, and detailed maps of dive sites), list all of your service and fill prices as well. I much prefer to be able to check out a shop like this in advance and avoid shops who don't put their pricing online. If things are priced fairly why would they not put this stuff online?

Have cheap fills. My favourite LDS has the cheapest fills around, this is what got me in intially. It doesn't keep people around in itself, just attracts people but if you back that up with good service and stock, they'll stay around.

Don't get annoyed if people shop elsewhere. No one shop is going to stock all of the brands that I like so I will buy things from various stores. It is amazing how many dive shops take it personally when you buy from other stores. It is really bothersome and annoying as a customer to be at the end of some eejit store owner ranting about how you got ripped off and the brand is going to kill me blah blah f-ing blah

Have lots of stock in your store. So many dive shops are really barren and you have to ask for things to be ordered. Leisurepro usually gets things to me much faster than a dive store can.

At least one week night where you are open late so people can get fills after work. Fills while you wait. This is normal for here so often I don't have to wait long for fills but apparently it is not like this everywhere.

Have a lounge type area where people can hang out. The shop I go to the most has this setup and often people will hang out there and have beers after dives. I've met a lot of people that way.

If one of your customers would be better off buying from another store because the gear is better for them, tell them this. I really respect stores who say 'well, I think this brand/type of gear will be better. I don't stock it but you can get it from here'. They lose that sale but I respect their honesty and am much more likely to go back there in the future.

Anyway, that is what I want in an LDS :) And to a large degree I do get this from a select few shops.

I’m new to diving and buy a lot of gear at the moment and most of it in the LDS, even though I can get things a bit cheaper online. For most purchases I use the LDS because I like to see the assortment and get some equipment advice and dive tips in a relaxed atmosphere, which most of but unfortunately not all of their staff provides.
So if you can not or will not compete on the price for the products, then I would say you need to provide a top service, excellent equipment knowledge in a relaxed atmosphere, basically a place where we the divers like to come.

Shop hours that work for those who have day jobs. Sorry, Saturdays and Sundays too. Sometimes I dive on a Sunday and can't make it your shop to get "stuff" during the week or on your limited Saturday hours.

Good prices. They don't have to be the best, but don't offer me a $900 computer that I can pick up on-line for $300 online. And, don't expect me to haggle. If you have to order it for me, okay, but understand that I might decide to buy online as I can probably get it quicker than you can and perhaps cheaper.....and it'll be sent straight to my home. Saves me time and gas.

Reasonable prices for courses. And when you quote me the price - it should be all-inclusive. Nothing worse than finding all the little hidden fees you can find. Oh, sorry, your book's are extra. The dive boat is extra. And so on. Or at least give me a breakdown on prices. No surprises, please.

Service - it's okay if you send my gear out for servicing. Just be honest about when it will be back. And if there is a problem you need to call me, not wait until I come to the shop to tell me why it couldn't be serviced. Service what you sell and sell what you service.

On the fly air-fills/nitrox fills. Or, at least have enough tanks to handle supply and demand if I need to rent. Have a few tank options.

If my tank is a + tank - please fill it accordingly. Don't tell me why you can't fill it - chances are I bought the tank from you expecting you to be able to fill it.

If you plan dive trips to other areas - keep your prices reasonable. Why should I book a trip with you if I can book it myself cheaper? Remember, I really don't like paying so *your* DM can travel free. You got a group rate for ten+ divers, didn't you?

And please remember - that if I get crappy service from you - I probably will not recommend you to other divers or potential divers. I believe in word of mouth and voting with my feet.

I'm sure I can think of a few more areas - but this seems to be pretty reasonable.

I want your entire staff to be smokin' hot women and the standard uniform to be a a bikini!

I want your entire staff to be smokin' hot women and the standard uniform to be a a bikini!

Oh yea, I forgot to say really hot staff in my post, glad someone put it out there :wink:

Wow -- the OP is getting some really stiff standards, here.

I live in a little bitty town a bazillion miles from water. Our 'dive shop' is in a corner of a sports store, and the owner has a day job. Still, he is always very welcoming, interested in what we are doing, encouraging in our advancement, and always willing to help.

Yes, he charges more for things not bought at his shop -- fair enough. His margin seems to be as bare-bones as you can get. We buy as much as we can locally.

I really think it is all about the attitude of the LDS, with affordability being the 'chaser', and the LDS really has no control over that. Competing with online is a show-stopper, but do the best you can.

As for "I Dive" and "Saspotao", :no: . . . Staff must be Chippendales!!!!! :rofl4:

Back
Top Bottom