What are your personal limits as a solo diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I try not to limit myself in ways other than solid dive planning. For instance, I am more rigorous about gas management on a leisurely 60' solo dive than if that same dive were conducted with a buddy.

Likewise, I usually plan my solo dives based on tables or at least make them square profiles based on my computer. I like this because it reduces complexity underwater and limits redundancy needs - 1 computer (probably in gauge mode) and 1 digital depth gauge will do.

Other than that, here are some general guidelines, limits if you will, that I use to plan most solo dives. There are times that other factors will make them unapplicable.

1. ) I won't attempt a solo dive in a location deeper than I have dove with a buddy in that same location. This greatly depends on the number of dives and familiarity with the dive site as well as objective of the dive.

2.) I won't dive deeper than 50' less than the amount of line that is supposed to be on my SMB reel.

3.) Although the safe PP02 limit is a recognized as 1.6 ATA and more conservatively 1.4 ATA, I will limit my Max. PP02 to 1.2 ATA.

I don't think of my limits as set - I dive solo as much as I do with a buddy - I was in Scapa last week, blown out of our planned dives, I did half my dives with someone, and the rest solo. Depth, not sure, I've never dived deeper than 85m solo, but then I've only been deeper than that once anyway. Time, I limit to whatever bail-out I am carrying.
Penetration I prefer to be on my own anyway, so probably go deeper on my own than with someone else

My solo diving has been limited to my "side yard" in Lauderdale By The Sea, Fl. All beach diving with a max depth of 20 feet, if that. Usually, I just go straight out a ways & hang out- lots of stuff comes to she who waits. I truly enjoy being alone underwater- no one else's dive agenda to accomodate or compromise with. I'll work on buoyancy or other skills or often just hang out & pray. If there's a current, I sometimes head into it a ways so I can ride it back- love that feeling. That being said, I am very careful about assessing the conditions before I go out & neighbors are always aware that I am going. I've gotten some flack about my solo diving from some. Truthfully, lots of it seems to be because I am female- my male friends who solo do not get nearly the attention & concern expressed to them that I do.

When I have dove solo (about 1/3 of my 120 or so dives), I have either dove with a buddy there before, really researched the location and it is designated as a OWD checkout site - like the Breakers in Monterey or Seacrest Park in Seattle. I have stayed above 60 all times, though if the conditions were right (no additional task loading like currents/viz) I would consider deeper. Since I take pics - alot of my quarry are above 60 anyways.

Like several others, I find it SO MUCH MORE enjoyable to dive solo. I am not having to spend ANY time, thought, effort, etc worrying about where my buddy is, if they are ok or if they are bored while I spend 15 min trying to take a picture of a clump of algae. I have just emptied my BC and sat on a rock on the bottom. It's fun just to blow bubbles!

My personal limits are based on the comfort level during the dive. Last week we did the Oil Wreck, and intact wreck in 175 fsw. The conditions were good. There was little to no current / surge. Navigation was easy. It was dark, but an HID light fixed that. All in all, it was a nice dive. I felt comfortable solo.

Other dives, I’ve felt uncomfortable in 60 fsw.

It all depends on the conditions.

Basically, if it's a spot I wouldn't freedive, then it's a spot I wouldn't solo.

Back
Top Bottom