What comes first

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andshand

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a canon A570is with canon housing and felt like spending some money on it. I was wondering if a flash had to come first or if it would work o.k with the inon adaptor and boyonet macro/wide angle lenses before buying the flash?

My guess is probably o.k for the WA but not the macro. Can you give me your opinions please.

Kind regards.....

I don't think you will find macro particularly useful without an external flash. The super wide angle full frame fisheye from Inon, the UFL165AD FE is the lens you want for ambient light. Don't bother with the 105AD IMO unless you can afford both. The 165 FE is amazing, it sucks light in like a vacum and has depth of field and focus virtually from the lens element to infinity. It makes a rather pejoric camera into a rather dandy picture taker. The 165FE lens does have some edge distortion and it does curve straight lines as is expected of a fisheye and it does not work well above water and you can find some flare and ghosting shooting into the light but all in all it allows you to take pictures that are simply impossible to improve upon without stepping up to a dslr and even then frankly it might give some a run for the money because after they have dumped 2,500 on a housing and 1,000 on a camera and 1,500 on dual strobes they will not be able to afford the dome port and 10MM lens to even begin to approach the super wide near 165 degree FOV the little Canon 560 has with the Inon 165AD FE.

You might as well bite the bullet and get the Inon D2000 strobe and arm and tray--sorry---it makes a world of difference for closeups.

This picture shows some of the limitations of the camera and lens. Shot without flash as I recall I was under the bow of a wreck shooting up into the noonday sun. Notice the sun overhead is completely over exposed and the near wreck is under exposed to the point of loosing all detail. If I had used my strobe I could have at least added near interest by adding fill light to the underside of the ships bow and allowing detail to be seen, the sun overhead would have still been over exposed. Given the low viz and depth it did OK for a snap shooter.

IMG_0456.jpg

N

Back
Top Bottom