What constitutes a loggable "dive"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maniago

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Thanks to everyone who answered my questions about why to log. I started this one so as not to have this question get lost if someone new does a search (of which I came up with zippy).

So now I'm logging and the question is "what is a dive"? I mean, 2mins just below the surface isn't a dive, but 2 minutes at 100' (if you could do that) sure ought to be a dive. My computer gets confused and calls a dive anything below 5' no matter how long. But for a certification, like showing 50 dives for DMC if I started that, would clearly not be 50 x 5'.

So what is it folks? What constitutes an acceptable loggable dive for purposes of continuing education where you have to show a dive log?

Thanks!

(just noticed I can't spell for $h*t, oops)

For standards of most courses, it must be a minimum of 15- 20 ft for a minimum of 15 minutes. However, your log book is your own. Log what you believe is a dive. The secret is to get the most out of every dive you do. Learn something new & improve with every dive.

Ok, no bites on this one. So how about something like this: divetimeXdivedepth >=100 is a valid dive. Any comments?

---------- Post Merged at 09:13 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:09 PM ----------

For standards of most courses, it must be a minimum of 15- 20 ft for a minimum of 15 minutes. However, your log book is your own. Log what you believe is a dive.

My thoughts here would be that the dives in OW are less than this, but are certification dives. Seems like a oxymoron.

Even a dive I have to abort is log-gable, because I wish to keep a record I can review of lessons learned, problems encountered, problems solved, and issue i may wish to avoid on future dives.

As suggested above, this is your log. Use it as if best fits you.

Honestly, I did not log a single dive for a long time, and now I wish I had, but once I started in the mid 90's, I decided to log every single dive, so I could later go back and read and learn.

Log what Evers to feel is a dive for you. I have logged a couple aborted dives. Because there was lessons learned. It the have not logged a dive that we went down to depth, surfaced, then went back to depth because we had to fix a small problem we noticed before the dive. But I did log the dive that followed the bounce.

My thoughts here would be that the dives in OW are less than this, but are certification dives. Seems like a oxymoron.

One of my best & favorite dives I've logged was about 90 min. in less than 6ft of water in Ginnie Springs run, chasing freshwater flounders. I never had so much fun! (I'm easily amused :D).

How about 15-15........ Minimum 15' for 15 minutes.....not a pool.

Your depth, time, etc. only matters if you need a certain number of logged dives in order to begin a course (such as divemaster, instructor, some others, etc.). In that case, ask either your agency or shop, or both to see what counts. Personally I log pretty much everything except pool dives, but that's all up to you.

Twice recently I logged dives that were under 10 minutes long because both were aborted to resolve some serious issues. I wished to record these events, and both resulted in much better dives 20 minutes to an hour later, once the issues had been addressed and resolved.

As I get older, and as I am making continual changes in my gear and techniques, I wish to keep better records, so I can go back later and retrieve that info if I wish.

I dived from 1970, until the mid 90's with no such records, and now I can never go back and review things like weighting, entries, marine life, buddies, etc from almost any of those dives.

I have spoken with Instructors who log even pool dives in classes for similar reasons, and so they have a record of every student they have worked with, and what they observed in that session .

My log book is for myself, and need satisfy no one else

i've mostly heard the rule of thumb that dives need to be at least 20ft for at least 20min, but you can log whatever you want to.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom