What did you buy that you regret?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, boy can I make up a list... here goes:

SeaQuest Balance BCD... junk w/ no resale value. Went with BP/W instead
soft-soled booties (I do a lot of shore/spring dives!)
integrated inflator/reg combo - goes with BCD above
snorkel - required to get OW cert. at the time, but stays at home now

Here's what I managed to get right, when I was just getting started:
bought a used set of AL regs from eBay & had them serviced
low-volume mask that fits right... still use it today
HP100 worthington tanks for my hoover-self, makes group diving better so I don't turn everyone's dive too early

An Atomox Helium-Oxygen analyzer ... ATOMOX Inc. - HeLIOX ANALYZER

Paid $550 for the thing. It provides readings that are so far off that it's unusable ... and the company I purchased it from apparently doesn't respond to phone calls and e-mails.

I've since found out that several other folks have had similar experiences with this company.

I'm now the proud owner of a $550 door stop ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

An Atomox Helium-Oxygen analyzer ... ATOMOX Inc. - HeLIOX ANALYZER

Paid $550 for the thing. It provides readings that are so far off that it's unusable ... and the company I purchased it from apparently doesn't respond to phone calls and e-mails.

I've since found out that several other folks have had similar experiences with this company.

I'm now the proud owner of a $550 door stop ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

That is a safety issue. Document your attempts to contact them, create a paper trail, because this is a Product Liablity case. See your fav attorney. While you have no damages, thank God, you will get resolution, REAL FAST.

Wow, no love for the AIR2. I have one, and I practice using it on most dives. It sits at a weird angle in my mouth and is not very comfortable, but I see it as an emergency backup that just needs to work, not be comfortable. If my primary fails the dive is over anyway.

I agree. I have used my Air2 for over ten years now and would not replace it with any other Octo.

The biggest mistake was......

Buying a single hose regulator....I now dive vintage double hos regs on all my dives...
The next mistake was to buy a zeagle bcd...What a piece of trash. I now only dive a horse collar on perhaps 10% of my dives, if that. Now I dive sans BC, the way God intended it.
Check out the vintagedoublehose.com site for more info on these great regs.

A scubapro mask that I bought at full price at my lds. Worst mask I have ever used!

What did I buy that I regret?

OMS gear.

NEVER AGAIN. What a backwards company.

my Aqualung Blades 2 fins. when I bought them from Sports Chalet, I was completely new to the sport, didn't do any research, and the only employee available in the dive dept was rude, and didn't give me any advice other then: "well, those fit". I have to expend a lot of energy to keep up with my regular dive buddies (both of which have the Apollo bio fins, which are amazingly fast), and am susceptible to cramping in colder waters.

After checking out the latest Scuba Labs fin test, I'm itching to replace them with either Aeris Mako or Mares Avanti SuperChannel fins.

The only other things I regret are little gadgets that seemed great in the store but are useless under water. For example - those plastic balls that hold your octo, impractical clips, etc. Can never seem to walk out of a dive shop w/o something!!

Regrets:
-Balamar scooter from LP, biggest piece of crap I ever owned.
-Dacor BCD from LP, started leaking after 3 months.
-Dacor Extreme Plus reg from LDS, the second stage never breathed right below 60 ft.

OTOH, I love my Aeris Compumask and Hybrid bladder BCD.

I regretted buying my Evo 2 drysuit for the first 6 or so dives. Hated it. Worst $2k ever spent.

Then I learnt how to use it properly and life was/is sweet!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom