What did you buy that you regret?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1974 Mustang II Hatchback. I'm stupid died, I rebuilt that, then I blew the engine.

SCUBA gear? Nothing really. I have a growing pile of stuff that I don't use anymore, but all of it served to get me diving more than I would have otherwise.

TSandM:
If I had it to do over, I would NOT: Buy a console computer. My husband and I, for reasons I can't clearly remember, decided that wrist-mounted gauges would be too much hassle. We were wrong. Consoles are too much hassle. Either they hang, or you clip them up to something and then have to pull them out to look at them. I have since bought a wrist computer and intend to give up the console. I would also NOT: Equip my BC with an Air2. It seemed like a good idea at the time, eliminating a hose and improving streamlining. It is a very awkward device to use for air-sharing, and even more complicated if you have to do an ascent. If I had bought a second second stage, converting my gear to a DIR setup would be much simpler as well.

I use both a console computer (Uwatec SmartCom) and the Air2. Very happy with both. The console clips to front of my BC and I can read it easily without unclipping it. I have only used the Air2 in an emergency once but practiced with it a few times. In the one emergency, I gave my main reg to the out-of-air diver (he was not my buddy) and used the Air2 myself. Not the greatest breathing reg in the world but was good enough to get to the buoy line and ascend. Always best to give the primary reg to the out-of-air diver as both of you know that it is working OK.

Regards
Peter

No regrets because it did not cost much but I bought two of those curved plastic writing slates from Saekodive, the ones that strap onto your forearm. Seemed like a good idea. My son and I could easily write messages to each other while diving. In my experience, a writing slate in the pocket never gets used because it is too much hassle to get it out and I hate slates and other things dangling off BC D-rings making you look like a Xmas tree. This seemed like a workable idea - strap the slate, with small pencil attached, to your arm where it would be unobtrusive but always available.

But, with one thin velcro strap, this writing slate does not stay put. If you put it on comfortably, when the suit compresses under pressure, it slides down to your wrist. Or it slips around behind your arm. If you put it on tight enough to stay in place, it cuts off circulation to the hand. Great idea but poorly designed.

Someone should design one that does stay in place (2 wide straps, some velcro-like material on the back...)

Regards
Peter

peterbkk:
But, with one thin velcro strap, this writing slate does not stay put. If you put it on comfortably, when the suit compresses under pressure, it slides down to your wrist. Or it slips around behind your arm. If you put it on tight enough to stay in place, it cuts off circulation to the hand. Great idea but poorly designed.

Regards
Peter

Throw the velcro away.Replace it with bungy

Rick Inman:
I bought an Atomic M1 reg last year and got the yoke first stage. I have since converted it to DIN, which I should have gotten in the first place for the same price, instead of having to buy the 50.00 conversion.
Rick, why did you change to DIN?

Stan

serambin:
Rick, why did you change to DIN?

Stan

Simple, he just eliminated the possible o-ring blowout failure point. How can people not dive DIN, that's what makes me wonder?

The Akona light with the twist on-off lens. When it comes on at depth, if my buddy doesn't notice it , I can't see it and the batteries run down. I don't know why they didn't us a push button or rubber coated switch.

Stan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom