What did you buy that you regret?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ShakaZulu:
Simple, just eliminated the possible o-ring blowout failure point. How can people not dive DIN, that's what makes me wonder?
Yeah, that's worth the effort, but what about when you use rental gear? Do most dive shops offer the option?

serambin:
Yeah, that's worth the effort, but what about when you use rental gear? Do most dive shops offer the option?

When I have to rent, like when the boats don't have a onboard fill station, I use my DIN to YOKE adaptor, and pray that all goes well. My spare air (buddy) is always very close to me.

ShakaZulu:
When I have to rent, like when the boats don't have a onboard fill station, I use my DIN to YOKE adaptor, and pray that all goes well. My spare air (buddy) is always very close to me.

I'm not familiar with the statistics. Has that been a large problem (yoke o-ring blowouts)?

More to do with HP tanks than LP's.

I should not have bought wet boots since I got a drysuit that comes boots.
Should not have bought wet gloves been using dry gloves instead.
Big regret, buying a new snorkel to replace the one that got lost.

ShakaZulu:
Simple, he just eliminated the possible o-ring blowout failure point. How can people not dive DIN, that's what makes me wonder?
Just a touch of hyperbole there, SZ? :D

Interesting that by using a DIN fitting, you're replacing the o-ring failure point on the yoke valve by.... three o-rings in the DIN fitting. At least in Sherwood fittings (see attachment).

And the one on the pointy end is at least somewhat dynamic.

The DIN is just rated to a higher pressure, and it tends to be a bit better protected since it's on the second stage and capped when not in use. The exposed o-ring in either type can fail, and can extrude if the connection isn't tight.

That said, all our family's first stages (four of them) now have DIN fittings -- primarily because of where we live and travel. We do like them.

--Marek

Snorkel, AL80s w/yoke valves, 2nd wetsuit (Since I now dive dry 95% of the time), Other than that I've been lucky. Always do LOTS of research before I buy and my rig is nice and streamlined with no extaneous bobbles hanging off it...

Back
Top Bottom