• Nikon

Votes: 25 10.9%
  • Fuji

Votes: 10 4.3%
  • Kodak

Votes: 6 2.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought me a Coolpix 885 earlier this year and by that time I didn't think I would want to use it for UW-photography as well.

Due to it's limitations (no external strobe, price of housing) I'm on the edge of re-selling it again and getting me a Coolpix5000 instead.

Any comments on the 5000 would be welcome...

I paid almost US$600 for complete DS-50 system (Substrobe with diffuser, TTL Slave Sensor, Arm system, tray and a single handle - package #3973.44), shipping & handling fees and import tax included. Could have get US$100 cheaper if I order this package with the housing. It's Thailand's import tax matter :(

Is it cheaper in U.K.?

£500 exactly!.....too damned expensive, and i am not entirely satisfied with the flash, it was better to use the internal for macro than the ike, i think it needs another arm for the sensor so you can move the flash/strobe away from the camera more to cut out back scatter.

Mine's an Olympus 3020 in a PT 005S housing. It works really well - and the only frustrations are operator errors and the slight shutter lag. I'm coming to terms with one of them, the other's more difficult!

Here's a Squirrelfish taken during a recent trip to Key West.

mike,

you can make a macro lens for the oly's really cheaply, a number 1 close up filter and get sep down rings to match if needed, it works a treat, see my latest red sea photo's (moray close up) for an example

I've had several Sony digital cameras before, constantly upgrading them. I'm happy with the way my shots turn out. Plus, I'm used to Sony's style. :)

divetonberry.gif

Tonberry Diver
http://www.ebdiver.com/

Well, I finally did it. Got the Oly 4040, PT housing and the YS90DX strobe. Haven't had a chance to get it wet yet.

Now the question is settings?? I'm used to my Reefmaster which had NO settings to change. What should I start with? Particularly on the flash?

AliKat once bubbled...
Well, I finally did it. Got the Oly 4040, PT housing and the YS90DX strobe. Haven't had a chance to get it wet yet.

Now the question is settings?? I'm used to my Reefmaster which had NO settings to change. What should I start with? Particularly on the flash?

the camera pretty much takes care of it self, as for the flash, Dee is the one to ask, as she has one of them, I have the ike ds50 which copies the oly flash exactly.

AliKat once bubbled...

I don't have my camera in front of me but.....

On your camera, set the internal flash as low as you can, at -3 I think. You only need it strong enough to set off the slave function on the YS90. It will also save on your camera betteries.

On your strobe, set it to PRE and SLAVE. The power settings will depend on your available light at depth, and whether your shooting macro or not. I started out at power #6, which is in the middle and just palyed around with it until I got the results I wanted. After all, the pics don't cost you anything!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom