• Nikon

Votes: 25 10.9%
  • Fuji

Votes: 10 4.3%
  • Kodak

Votes: 6 2.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have an Olympus C-3020 and a PT010 housing. I also don't have a strobe yet, but it's the next thing on my list. I've posting a couple of pics from it on the board. I am working on uploading lots of pics to the internet, but I am not finished. As soon as I do I will post a link so everyone can see.

I'm extremely happy with the quality of this camera and hw the housing operates UW. I would recommend it to anyone who is thinking of a digital set-up.

work was nice enough to get me a Nikon 5700 but i hear the housing is alot of $. Not sure yet if i am willing to spend that kinda dough. I dont do any warm water diving and vis locally just doesnt make it a good investment.

Andy

Put me down in the Olympus camp, with a C-4040.

Takes great shots on land, can't wait to get my PT-010 and go underwater!

Well I finally got around to editing my 300 digital shots from my August trip to Cozumel. All in all I learned that learning to take photo's in the drift dives of Cozumel can quickly be a challenge, especially when you have to go back up current to get the shot you want!

As for equipment....

Sony DSC707 in an Ikelite Housing
1 DS-125, and 1 DS-50 (which I ended up not using)

Everything was fine for the first 3 days of diving until one of the control seals popped off of the metal lever.. fortunately I found this during a surface interval equipment check..

I also had some frustration in trying to get the strobe to fire consistently, as it would seem to not fire on about 10% or so of my shots.. I am not sure if this is related to the sensor problems experience by others or simply not allowing enough recycle time :)

Here is a link to the pix..I have yet to complete captions

800x600 Higher Bandwidth

640x480 Lower Bandwidth

Paul

Very Nice, Paul!

I am amazed at how many shots it takes to get just a few "keepers"!

I did discover one annoying issue with the Ikelite Housing and the silver DSC-707... if I were in relatively shallow water (<20 ft), in bright sun, the reflections from the sun on the equipment would set off the flash sensor.. I had to end up wrapping the camera in a plastic bag to get this to stop happening!

Paul

I was at first too but as long as you take care of your o-ring maintenance after every dive it should be fine. I think the Marine Pack is a pretty reliable housing as long as you are careful with it.

I too am thinking about spend a paycheck on U/W photographic equipment, but am scared. So, is the reson for flooding mostly due to a lack of o-ring maintenance? Operator error? Or what? If it's simply o-ring maitenance, it seems easy... Just lube and replace the o-ring on a regular schedule.
Is it that easy?

Thanks!

freddie once bubbled...
I too am thinking about spend a paycheck on U/W photographic equipment, but am scared. So, is the reson for flooding mostly due to a lack of o-ring maintenance? Operator error? Or what? If it's simply o-ring maitenance, it seems easy... Just lube and replace the o-ring on a regular schedule.
Is it that easy?

Thanks!

Flooding is usually an IO problem...Idiot Operator! Seriously, most floods are caused my carelessness...dirty or pinched o-rings, or even no o-ring! Rushing is the major cause of that carelessness.

I do my maintenence at night, when I've got time to concentrate on what I'm doing. I inspect my o-rings when I change batteries and memory cards but o-rings are removed, cleaned and re-greased at night. If for some reason this isn't done and I have to hurry through it in order to get on the boat in time, I'll leave the camera rather than chance it. Leave it for one dive and miss a few shots or flood it and lose a the rest of the trips worth of pictures?

So yes...it can be that easy. In 7 years I have had 1 strobe flood and that was due to a defective battery cap on a strobe. knock knock knock on wood!

That is good advice Dee.

Sometimes I go down without a camera just to enjoy the
diving and try to find something interesting. It is amazing
how much more you can see without a camera.

Back
Top Bottom